Star Wars, Star Trek and others....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

From an early age I was always fascinated with space travel. I was around during the moon landings in 1969, watched with a lot of interest the developments in the manned space program and like a lot of people my generation got caught up with the notion of the space frontier.

I equally became aware of the limitations in space technology, in particular the inefficiency of the propulsion systems. I took on an interest on a number of technology frontiers including Ion Drive, cold fusion, anti gravity generators among them

Still do…..

NASA - Ion Propulsion

Cold fusion - Wikipedia

Anti-gravity - Wikipedia

parsifal said:
From an early age I was always fascinated with space travel.
I had an interest in construction equipment (houses built at the end of the block), airplanes (annual flights to Hawaii), and astronomy (stars and planets are fascinating).

I think the same reason most people would be into aviation would be the same as those interested in astronomy and space-travel. The huge size of space, the wonder of seeing distant worlds, and the ability to fly freely over huge distances.
I equally became aware of the limitations in space technology, in particular the inefficiency of the propulsion systems.
Yeah rockets have terrible efficiency, powerful as hell, but burn fuel and oxidizer at a horrifying rate
I took on an interest on a number of technology frontiers including Ion Drive, cold fusion, anti gravity generators among them
Cold fusion is very low-rate nuclear fusion like how warmth is to fire, as fire is to explosion? As for ion-drive -- I kind of think of ion & plasma as being kind of similar concepts (plasma is an ionized gas).

Anti-gravity forms a mix of ideas from ionocraft which isn't really gravity neutralization, but thrust; there are proposals that involve using technology to warp the fabric of space time which effectively has all sorts of implications from artificial gravity, to warp-drive, and traversable wormholes.

Friend was right into Star Trek for many years - every episode on video and all that.

He bought a book on the original Enterprise with the schematics and functions of all parts of the
ship from deck to deck. Strange thing was - no toilet anywhere onboard. Adds a whole new meaning
to the Captains log.

Reminds me of something I saw as a kid, written on the wall of a public toilet in New Zealand:

Captain's log. Star date 10/12/86. Scotty and I have just beamed down for a shit.

:)
96553878_147055143527930_4668257575303643136_n.jpg

Quite a few Sci-Fi props used items from military surplus.

Aside from Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica (the original, not the dumpster fire remake) used surplus for props, too.
The control stick in the Colonial Viper (the name was adopted by F-16 pilots, by the way) was from a Grumman OV-1 Mohawk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back