Star Wars, Star Trek and others....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
Was just wondering, with all the Sci-Fi fans around here, how many used to, still do or have have kids that draw/design their own spaceships after each movie, episode or whatever?

Come on, spill the beans! ;)

hpqscan0001.jpg
hpqscan0002.jpg
I have a lot of drawings like that stuck away in a folder from years and years ago. Here's one that's kind of an updated version of Khans Botany Bay from the original Star Trek. I have plenty more I can scan if you want to see them.

Last edited:
hpqscan0003.jpg
hpqscan0004.jpg
hpqscan0005.jpg
hpqscan0006.jpg
hpqscan0007.jpg
hpqscan0008.jpg
hpqscan0009.jpg
hpqscan0010.jpg
hpqscan0011.jpg
hpqscan0012.jpg
hpqscan0013.jpg
hpqscan0014.jpg
hpqscan0015.jpg
Now remember I did these about 30 years ago back in High school

1 2 ) H.G. Wells' "War of the Worlds" Martian Fighting Machine
3 ) Edgar Rice Burroughs' "At the Earths Core" Subterranean Digging Vehicle
5 6 ) Damnation Alley Landmaster (nose much too long)
7) One man lunar lander from my imagination
8 ) One man shuttle also from my imagination
9 ) Home built rocket design
10 11 12 ) A space craft very loosely based on the Jupiter2 from lost in space
13 ) A small space-plane

Last edited:
Got to say I never went That detailed, but did draw a lot. I was a bit of an introvert. In the sixth grade I was put into a special class with several of us trouble makers, drawing. we learned prospective and scale. drawing mostly Roman architecture. Drawing was like my model building now, kept me sane. I drew more houses than anything else, hot rods of course. I was in high school in '57-'61. The birth of hot rods and rock and roll. Wanted to be an architect, didn't happen. Wanted to be a pilot, Navy, that didn't happen either. But still sketch architectural stuff. Went thru a CAD school when I was 52, did the mechanical and architectural courses. Know just enough about building to be dangerous.

I admire the detail you put into your sketches Glenn. You got a good eye, or two.

Heres a pic I did in High School. I don't have any of my Space ship pics anymore.

In school, my one teacher saw how I was always drawing space stuff and since I didn't do well academically, she gave me a chance. In the 70s, space exploration was big tome so she "commissioned" me to mural the school hallways about space exploration with my drawings. I passed the class because of the 'extra' credit.

18968_1243872510180_5593069_n.jpg

Last edited:
Back in the day, if I wasn't reading, I was drawing. In my notes, on my homework, whenever/wherever. Sci-fi, fantasy, you name it. I wasn't the best artist, and my "perspective" and "shading" skills needed a LOT of work, but I had fun doing it. I have no idea what happened to most of that stuff, I do know that at least one folder got thrown away rather than pack it up (again) during yet another military move.

I feel my "inner-geek" (re-) emerging! Years ago (the early 1970's) I spent a lot of time trying to model the "Planet of the apes" space ship...I pored over every little scrap of information I could find (much of it incomplete). I wish I had some of the models I constructed...some of them where not that bad (probably better then I remember_lol).

Now I could just go here, if I needed that kind of information...

Planet of the Apes Stills Gallery

If you are looking for any "movie spaceship" information...production stills, ect...I have found this web site to be invaluable. I hope you enjoy it!!

Untitled Document

Apes10.jpg

Apes73.jpg

Very cool Chris! I wasn't very good at perspective then so I tended to stick with plan profile. Back then I couldn't hold a pencil in my hand without doodling something.

Very cool and interestingly done pics, doodles designs ther guys, make me wish I had most of mine still; mostly upon motorcycles, planes and sci-fi/W40K, I got some about still, looks like I'll have to connect up my printer/scanner some time this week or so.

Great drawings Glenn!

Mine are all stored in NZ unfortunately, still have a scrapbook full of them.
Used to design air- and spacecraft, and cars (among other things) as a kid, which my parents and friends thought were 'too futuristic' and would never be made in reality - similar designs are now regularly flying, and the 'too futuristic' cars have been on the roads since the late '80s...
(Had my own 'Eurofighter' type designs for example, and a few which 'would never work' in people's opinions - since flown as the YF-23, etc... always makes me wonder 'what could have been' had they let me pursue my goal of becoming an aircraft designer...)

Designed a few cardboard space models too, and regularly drew the spacecraft etc from TV shows like 'Battlestar Galactica', 'Buck Rogers in the 25th Century', and 'Star Fleet'. Will post pics if I ever get access to my stuff in NZ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back