Star Wars, Star Trek and others....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

In 1964 Gene Roddenberry first proposed the Star Trek series to NBC. The central starship in that proposal was indeed the USS Yorktown named after the WWII aircraft carrier and the last major battle of the Revolutionary War. The art director for the original series had an aviation background which lead him to use NCC (NC is an international recognition code for US aircraft. The second C was just to make it different.). The 1701 was his 17th model and the first of that series. USS is United Space Ship.
There have been several Enterprises:

1. NX-01 Mankind's first warp 5 starship Jonathan Archer's ship in the Enterprise Series
2. NCC-1701 Constitution Class Heavy Cruiser; Captains: Robert April(2245-2250), Christopher Pike(2250-2265), James T. Kirk(2265-2270), Willard Decker(2270-2271), James T. Kirk(2271-2285) destroyed in orbit over the Genesis Planet to keep it out of Klingon hands (Star Trek III)
3. NCC-1701-A Constitution Class Heavy Cruiser; Captains: Admiral Kirk demoted to Captain (Star Trek V and Star Trek VI) ordered back to Earth to be decommissioned. In Shattner's novel Ashes of Eden the –A is destroyed.
Roddenberry suggested that the USS Yorktown had been renamed Enterprise-A at the end of Star Trek IV to explain its rapid launch.
4. NCC-1701-B modified Excelsior Class starship; Captains: John Harriman. Launched incomplete with Kirk, Scott, and Chekov as guests on board. Caught in the Nexus Kirk is believed killed in a hull breach. Lost and presumed destroyed in 2329
5. NCC-1701-C Ambassador Class Heavy Crusier; Captains: Rachel Garrett in 2344 the –C responds to a Klingon outpost distress call, battles 4 Romulan warbirds, passes through a temporal rift to 2366 where the Federation and Klingons are at war, meets the Enterprise-D which assists in repairs; the –D and –C are attacked by Klingons; Garrett is killed but the –C returns through the rift and the original battle with the Romulans to restore the timeline.
6. NCC-1701-D Galaxy Class Explorer; Captains: Jean-Luc Picard (2364) began a 7-year mission. In 2371 attacked by a Klingon Bird-of-Prey a warp core breach destroyed the star-drive section. However the saucer section had already separated but the shock wave from the core breach drove it into Veridian III where it crash landed.
7. NCC-1701-E Sovereign Class Starship; Captains: Jean-Luc Picard (2372) Data (android B-4) after Picard retires. The Enterprise-E is the ship of Star Trek First Contact, Insurrection, and Nemesis
8. NCC-1701-F Odyssey Class Starship; Captains: Va'Kel Shon (2409) From Star Trek Online
9. NCC-1701-G Efficacy Class Battleship; 2452 lead the Federation war against the Romulan Star Empire for 15 years Lost in 2467
10. NCC-1701-H Endurance Class Federation Starship (2469) Originally the USS Endurance NX-90000
11. NCC-1701-J Federation Starship in the 26th century. In 2153 Captain Jonathan Archer was transported to the Enterprise-J to witness the battle of Procyon V

Says it all Mike! :thumbright:

You betcha, missed the show when it aired back in 1966 but saw the reruns in '69. I had to climb up on a third story roof to turn the TV antenna to be able to receive the show every week

Here are a couple of other shows. Perhaps some of you may remember; I know you kids won't. How about "Space:1999", or the British series "UFO". "UFO" was on at the same time as "The Man From UNCLE". :)

Jan, I have yet to find any specific answer to that question. In general however the name ENTERPRISE means: A project or undertaking, typically one that is difficult or requires effort, initiative and resourcefulness.
As such: 23 ships of the French Navy; 15 ships of the Royal Navy, 2 ships of the US Continental Navy, 7 ships of the United States Navy; a steamboat in the Battle of New Orleans; a Civil War Balloon; a Goodyear Blimp; a Massachsetts Marine Academy training ship; and a US Space Shuttle were all named ENTERPRISE
So a very common name

Capt. Jean Luc Picard will be here in Seattle at COMICON, March 3rd!!!! I need to get my uniform ready!!!

Sir Patrick Stewart, top English Bloke. I believe Sir Ian McKellern and him are in the USA to reprise their Waiting For Godot.

Last edited:
Other than the new movie, none that I know of.

(BTW Jan - your post was exactly one year after the previous post!! )

But I found some cool Star Wars pics......

1151073_557080914357028_1729628859_n.jpg
1488208_10152155443883767_1438644301_n.jpg
star_wars_aircraft_outer_space_world_war_ii_1024x768_wallpaper_Wallpaper_1920x1440_www.wallmay.n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back