Stealth Questions (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

No, this is not the same aircraft.
The front part of the wing is undamaged (I can not see a hole), the engine is much heavier damaged.
Once the cover panel is blown away, once not.

But you are right, same tail codex.
But my one you can see grass on the airfield.
It seems not to stand on an airfield in the middle of a desert!!!
My source:
jogoslawien 99

Flyboy, yes, I think you are right.
It must be the same aircraft!
Only following units flew following numbers of A-10.

18 A-10 52nd Fighter Wing / 81st Exped Sq
4 OA-10 20th Fighter Wing
6 A-10 104th Fighter Wing
6 A-10 110th Fighter Wing
6 A-10 124th Fighter Wing

I feel little bit angry I have to say.

If this is a picture just after landing...
http://www.peters-ada.de/yogo194.gif

They put a cover panel on the right engine.
Story about Battle Damaged A-10

:sad3: Wars confused with conflicts confused with police actions. T4.H you are mixing pics from multiple campaigns.

Again I stand by my statements with regards to that conflict.

It was probably to the best interest of the USAF to confirm the loss of a F-117A. That would solidify the need for a next generation strike aircraft - the F-35.

T4.H - there are some of us who have worked and served in the US armed forces - losses of aircraft are pretty hard to conceal during an open conflict, and even if such operations or losses were classified, be rest assured someone would find out.

With that said, the Yugoslavians would of said just about anything to make them look like they were the victims during that conflict.

The source of the pictures:
jogoslawien 99

Hi Flyboy and everyone else...
Come on...
Just don't believe both sides...
The first, which dies in a war is the truth.
And each war starts with a lie.

I would bet...
If the serbs couldn't proof it, the NATO officials would have said, that all plains would have lost in accidants or because of engine failure. How they also had first said to the shot down F-117 and ... and... etc...

Because they were not shot down by aircraft. Fact is fact. I am not going to believe Serbian propaganda or a Germany news agency that was not in the conflict.

T4 H said:
Two AH64 were lost in Albania (crews died). (another crashed, crew survived?)
Officialy all three (four) were lost in training flights. Perhaps...
http://www.bmlv.gv.at/pdf_pool/publikationen/05_kk_06_feichtinger.pdf
There are rumors, one of the AH64 has been shot down. I don't belive it...

They were not lost to enemy fire. How do I know 2 of them were from a Germany based unit that my unit deployed with. I have talked with crews that were flying with them when it happened. One of the Apaches hit wires.

A few years later I was flying a Mission with another Apache in the same area and the Apache hit wires and crashed killing both crews.

T4 H said:
One F-117 has been shot down.
OK, I saw the pictures, these were shrapnel holes not 23 mm granate holes. No Mig21?
Rocket!...
http://www.peters-ada.de/eintrittsloch.jpg

Shrapnel holes can be caused by a Surface to Air Missile. Most Surface to Air missiles do not explode opon contact to the target. They explode in a proximity to the target or in front of it and the shrapnel from the explosion takes the aircraft down.

The SAM unit that shot down the F-117 is known as well as the location of the missile fired and the commander of the unit that fired the missile.

Read the post I made earlier about the subject.

There were several NATO aircraft that were damaged from ground fire and air to air combat but returned to base. Those are not losses.

There were no USAF aircraft lost in Air to Air combat

Back to the original question of stealth characteristics.
The cross section of stealth aircraft is classified, but it is generally believed that they are similar with the F-35 being the lowest.
De-icing can be done by engine bleed air, electrical heating, or by using engine heat to warm fluid that is circulated through tubing in the skin on fighter aircraft, assuming that they even have a system. There are also ice phobic coatings that can be applied to the aircraft. De-icing is typically needed at take-off and landing, and during low altitude flight. There are systems that give icing warnings, so that the pilot can avoid the conditions that cause icing. During high speed flight, skin warming contributes to de-icing.
A heat signature is like light. Using the right equipment, you can see the thermal trail of a jet (or piston) engine. To track a thermal target, you need an intense source, and the modern aircraft pull cold air in through vents and mix it with the exhaust to cool the stream. Also, a good thermal sensor needs to be extremely cold, and that is usually done by cooling the sensor with a charge of liquid Nitrogen. For an aircraft to continually scan for other aircraft a large supply of this would be needed.

Goooogle it. :)

Sorry if that last post seemed abrupt, I was in college and should have been working...for once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back