Sten SMG aircraft: productionized aircraft part 1, the reality

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That is certainly an interesting question - could the Soviets have built more sophisticated, expensive and possibly more capable fighters, or were they forced to go "Sten"?

I would argue that they were not forced to go the direction they did, though there was certainly enormous pressure since the Soviet State, and maybe a big chunk of the population was fighting for their life.

Soviet fighters were both small and cheap. Other very important aircraft like Spitfires, Bf 109s, MC 202, etc. were also pretty small, if not necessarily as cheap.

The Soviets could have probably built a lot of aircraft equivalent to a Spitfire Mk II let's say, with metal skin, more guns, bigger engine etc. though that would mean in much smaller numbers than their Yak etc. Maybe something like the Polikarpov I-185.

But the Soviets actually had Spitfire MK V available to them, from the British. Later Spitfire Mk IX. But they used these for PVO / air defense in rear areas. For the front line they preferred the Yak and Lavochkin fighers.

Also the IL-2 with it's armored bathtub etc. was not exactly a 'Sten' design, IMO. They built a lot of those.

I think the D.520 is also a quite small aircraft. I'm not sure about the degree of complexity or expense, but it's small and that was a big help (and for the same reason as the Soviet fighters, because it had more or less the same engine)
We are also getting into time travel just a little bit.
D. 520 first flew in Oct 1938. In the spring of 1940 they were working on putting more powerful engines in the plane but the Fall of France killed that idea. The French stats are with unprotected tanks and little or no armor. The I-26 (Yak-1 prototype that first flew Jan 13th 1940) and used the wrong engine because the intended engine (M-106) wasn't cleared for flight yet, and that is a short and dirty history of the Yak series of fighters. During development of the I-26 the Soviet government decreed that the M-107 engine (the most powerful water cooled engine in development ) would be installed in the new Yak fighter. The M-107 was not installed until end of WW II with the Yak-9U that they actually the engine. Note that the decree was by a government body/agency/dept. It was not the real idea of the airframe designer/team or the idea of the engine designer/team.
The Bf 109 was a special case, and there was a moment where they went for light, particularly with the 109F2. But let's not forget the Bf 110 and Fw 190 were also German fighters...
Trying to discuss single engine fighters. Yes the Bf 110 was German fighter, however being a large twin it is not in the same class and just about everybody had their own twin engine fighters. With different degrees of success.
The I-26 was supposed to have 1 cannon and 4 machine guns. And now we get into the "Genius of Soviet design philosophy."
The Prototype came out almost 13% overweight.
They didn't have the engine that they wanted. (even the M-106)
The plane was nose heavy even with the substitute engine. Which lead to removal of two guns.
The Yak fighter was ordered into production in three factories before the plane even started it's state tests.
During the state tests the I-26-2 was tested at 100kg below the designed gross weight and and was operated at lower than designed G loads.
They found 123 design and manufacturing flaws and the plane did not pass the test state tests.

To be at least somewhat fair the competitors, the Lavochkin-310 and MIG I-200, had very similar assessment during their state tests.

The I-26 in the state test did not have an electric generator, an altimeter or a radio. Maybe somebody was taking the Sten concept a little too far

Many other nations fighters had troubled developments.

The hub mounted 20mm cannon was sort of upper middle of the pack.
It may have taken a short time to realize that the wood construction was not quite as good as advertised. It would work, but it wasn't as light as was promised, which meant you had to leave stuff out in order to get performance, especially when the two new engines turned into colossal flops.

The Soviets did pretty good with succession of crappy sticks they were handed, and that might be their Genius. They sure weren't planning things long term.

Also note that "planned" machine guns were very difficult to manufacturer. They had very high performance but required a lot of skilled, hand fitting.

The 12.7mm UB machine gun was practically the Sten gun (or MG 42) of aircraft guns. Powerful, fast firing, cheap to make, showed up just in time. It's main failing was that it was short lived. It basicly wore out in about 1/4 the time of an American .50 cal Browning. However since it was so much cheaper the Soviets just replaced them more often in any planes that lasted longer than the guns. There multiple reasons why the Soviets changed from the 7.62mm aircraft machine guns to the 12.7mm. The increase target effect for the cost of manufacture was a big part, ease of maintenance in the field was another.

Part of the Hurricane's obsolescence as a fighter was due to it's being about 5 years older than the Soviet fighters, the fact that it was designed around a fixed pitch prop and needed a large wing to take-off with, and less than ideal flap set up for landing. Nobody was designing 260 sq ft wings for 6-7,000lb fighter planes in 1939-40. I think two 20mm guns in the cowl was pretty good. The Soviets were certainly very pleased with the La 5.
It was what would fit and not cause the plane to nose over. One of the 20mm ShVAK's advantages was it's rate of fire. When you synchronize it you loose some the rate of fire. Not as bad as the US .50 (the king of synchronization loss).
Sometimes and yes sometimes no.

Just the Yak-9 alone went through 22 basic modifications, 15 of which made it into production. 5 new or modified powerplants, six number volume combinations of fuel tanks, seven armament variations and two special equipment's.
The US didn't have the luxury of building such a combination of variants. The planes had to be more general purpose and then modified more often in the field or by hanging stuff underneath. The Soviets had the luxury of being able to shift different planes around to different areas to suit the the tactical needs in a more timely fashion.

For a Soviet Sten design, what about e.g. continuing to produce the I-16 into the early 40'ies (wikipedia says production ended only in 1942)?

I would say as well that a later model I-16 doesn't look that bad in 1941 or 1942. It makes 300 mph, two 20mm cannons plus two fast firing machine guns. Very high roll rate and a turn time of 18 seconds makes it much more maneuverable than most other planes at that time. Rate of climb is pretty good at 2,890 fpm initial. Short range but on the plus side, it carries rockets. It looks competitive to me next to a Tropicalized Hurricane or a MC. 200 which were both active at that time. But it proved vulnerable both to the A6M and the Bf 109 which is why the Soviets stopped making them.

Soviet fighters were both small and cheap. Other very important aircraft like Spitfires, Bf 109s, MC 202, etc. were also pretty small, if not necessarily as cheap.
A lot depends on tooling, very few of the fighters were actually designed for true mass production so fabrication costs can well exceed raw materials. Ki-43 and Zero were both economical in raw materials.
The Soviets could have probably built a lot of aircraft equivalent to a Spitfire Mk II let's say, with metal skin, more guns, bigger engine etc. though that would mean in much smaller numbers than their Yak etc.
Not in the Quantities needed which is why they went to wooden construction. Again they were planning on one 20mm (or larger) and four 7.62 mgs.
Often ignored in the wooden construction is gallons of glue and Phenol formaldehyde resin used in the fabrication of the wooden components.
The Soviets were not depending on old plow horses going to the glue factory. They were depending on a petro-chemical industry.
Very high roll rate and a turn time of 18 seconds makes it much more maneuverable than most other planes at that time. Rate of climb is pretty good at 2,890 fpm initial.
Pretty good climb is not good enough and tight turns keep you from getting shot down, it often does not mean you can shoot down the opponent.
The idea is cause damage to the enemy, not simply survive.

Just the Yak-9 alone went through 22 basic modifications, 15 of which made it into production. 5 new or modified powerplants, six number volume combinations of fuel tanks, seven armament variations and two special equipment's.
To be clear, the 'genius' here is in the gradual adaptation of their aircraft to the needed conditions, not "5 year plans", prison design bureaus, gulags etc.

The US didn't have that 'luxury', but that also mean they didn't enjoy the 'luxury' of 138 German army divisions crossing your border, followed closely by the einsatzgruppen ...

It was a terrible situation, but it did allow them to focus very closely on the crisis at hand.

It occurs to me that a cheap barely middling performance fighter chosen above a sophisticated bells and whistles type just to be able to churn them out in quantity may not be cheaper if they get shot down in droves taking their aircrew with them whilst a higher tech expensive type survives longer and allows aircrew to live long enough to gain experience. You save in needing replacements which use more materials and need a bigger training system to shove more new aircrew into the the front and of the funnel instead of narrowing the exit by letting existing ones live long enough to learn to stay alive.

Well there could have been a different strategy more focused on "quality". Stalin liked to say that quantity had a quality all it's own... but it seems that if you fast forward to the last two years of the war and the arrival of Yak 3, La 5FN, La 7 etc., at least within the envelope where they were doing the most fighting, the Soviet fighters had been developed and adapted to the point that they were better than the (very good) German fighters they were facing.

They ended up putting a thin layer of bakelite (or something a lot like it) on the outer layer of the Yak-9s as protection from moisture.

Pretty good climb is not good enough and tight turns keep you from getting shot down, it often does not mean you can shoot down the opponent.
The idea is cause damage to the enemy, not simply survive.

This one, I'd really love to discuss further. I see your point, but I actually think surviving is one of the most important things. This breaks down when speed is so much lower that the fighter can't intercept enemy aircraft, especially bombers. But surviving engagements is a really critical thing for fighters. Many fighter pilots flew multiple missions and engaged in combat several times before shooting down a single enemy aircraft - and that was with more modern planes with plenty of guns etc., and good performance.

I'd say that is true IF the extra features (and cost to build and operate) do translate to higher rates of survival for the pilots. Not always the case.

In 1944 the French Normandie Niemen squadron was offered their choice of any aircraft available in the Soviet arsenal - including P-40K, P-39, P-63, Spitfire Mk IX. They chose the Yak-3.

Last edited:
The dividing line may be small at times. But it is there, sometimes the line is crossed and the Bells and whistles don't work as advertised and the lower tech aircraft/weapon wins the battle of attrition. Sometimes improvements are are subtle. The US M4 tanks of of 1945 were not the M4 Shermans of the fall of 1942.

In the air battles what ultimately won was one side causing enough damage to the other side (with operational losses) to exceed the enemies ability to repair/replace while maintaining/expanding their own ability to repair/replace.

In 1944 the French Normandie Niemen squadron was offered their choice of any aircraft available in the Soviet arsenal - including P-40K, P-39, P-63, Spitfire Mk IX. They chose the Yak-3.
In 1944 I would pick new airplanes over 1-2 year old airplanes too

I do wonder what the thought process was.
They had flown nothing but Yaks for the duration of their service.
The original French Mechanics had been sent to the middle east and replaced by soviet mechanics.
How much did they know about the American/British fighters?
The French-Soviet connection was strong, the Soviets were backing the French as a counter-point to the US/British alliance. Russia was backing de Gaulle to take a bigger role in the west.
There was an element of tradition/honor in the back ground. When the French left Russia for France they took their Yak-3s with them. No spare parts so they faded away. But the return home with their weapons was considered a high honor. Would have selecting American or British aircraft in 1944 have been considered an insult to the Russians after they had supplied the French pilots with aircraft since the end of 1942?

It might take a lot of research to find out the true reasons and overlaps and it may be that the French pilots did truly think the Yak 3 was the best thing they were offered.

In 1944 I would pick new airplanes over 1-2 year old airplanes too

Well those were the aircraft, along with the Yak 9 and La 5FN and La 7, that the highest-scoring aces were flying. As you are I'm sure aware some of the top scoring Soviet aces flew P-39s.

The Soviets had a system where you could trade up your aircraft if you did well, and the Yak 3 was really on the top of that list, along with La 7.

Interesting angle, but I'm dubious. The British and American planes like P-40, P-39, and Spitfire had all been in country and flying in combat for 1-2 years by then, and in fact all of those planes were being flown by Guards IAP squadrons. So I don't believe it would be a problem to find mechanics or spare parts.

Maybe, but I kind of doubt it since it didn't seem to be a problem for some of the best Soviet pilots to fly P-39s.

It might take a lot of research to find out the true reasons and overlaps and it may be that the French pilots did truly think the Yak 3 was the best thing they were offered.

It's true we can't really know for sure. But I think it's just one of many strong data points indicating that the Yak -3 was in fact probably the single best frontal aviation fighter flying over the Soviet-German front at that time. One other would be that the Luftwaffe, or one unit, issued a warning about engaging Yaks "with the oil cooler under the nose" (I know this is debated by some of the "Lufties"). Another would be the very low losses reported for the type (210 shot down). I would also cite the performance (400 mph at 13,000 ft), low wing loading, 17 second turn time, climb rate, very fast roll rate (equal to Fw 190), very good visibility from the canopy (with bullet proof glass front and back) etc.

It was fairly lightly armed with a 20mm and two 12.7mm in the nose on most types (there was the usual array of variations) though I think that is probably enough, and had some of the usual problems all the Yak fighters had with the plywood, couldn't dive too fast due to that, and short range and combat endurance.

But it was reportedly easy to maintain and very durable. Didn't mind winter so much. And it was a light fighter, normal weight was around 5,500 lbs

Last edited:
Soviet "quality" was all over the place. But build quality should have been relatively divorced from design choices. Assuming you could actually build the thing to begin with. However if you draft many of the able bodied workers into the army and replace them with unskilled old men, women and teenagers build quality will go down, not something the designer had much control over. They may have been able to take a bit more time or with gained experience (or both/other things) build quality went up even with design improvements. The Yak 9and LA-7 with increased use of duralumin offered advantages earlier versions did not have. The instrument fit and/radio fit increased as the war went on too.
They ended up putting a thin layer of bakelite (or something a lot like it) on the outer layer of the Yak-9s as protection from moisture.
They were using the Phenol formaldehyde resin (either Bakelite or something close to it) as a bonding agent for the veneer strips they using for the much of the "plywood" used the fuselage and wing structure.
It may be a fine line. One reason the Spitfire helped win the BoB was that a new Spitfire lasted longer than a new Hurricane pilot (by a few days, New Hurricane pilots lasted about 2 weeks on average.)

I can't find it at the moment but somewhere I have seen an account of I-16s in use in 1942 or 43 in which they took fewer losses per sortie than most (all?) other aircraft operating in their area. How much experience had to do with it I don't know. There was even talk about putting the I-16 back into production, Then they took another look and the I-16s were also doing less damage to the Germans per sortie. They didn't break down the damage/loss ratio.
I would also note that the supply of 20mm ShVAK cannon was not inexhaustible. Many of the I-16 24s had four 7.62mm guns and many of the I-16 type 29s had two 7.62s and one 12.7mm gun, wing guns taken out when rockets were installed but Soviet weapon fit seems to vary by the phase of the moon so their are no guarantees as what a few aircraft out of any batch had.
Another problem was the I-16 never (?) changed it's fuel capacity (or only once) and what gave good if not great range/endurance with 715-820hp engines wasn't so great with 1100hp engines, Yes they hung drop tanks on them but that is not quite the same thing.

Another interesting reply, thank you.

Soviet "quality" was all over the place.

We tend to be highly dismissive of everything the Soviets did, and compared to "Western" production their kit sometimes seemed to be crude. But I also think this perception is heavily tainted by Cold War propaganda. The Russians seem backward at first, but then they adapt, and they have some very, very smart engineers. They surprised us (and their other enemies) many times - the Katuusha rocket, the PPSh, Ak-47, the MiG-15, Sputnik, the RPG, Salyut 1 the MiG-25. The first Mobile phone. Many of their later armored vehicles in WW2.

But I think their greatest "quality" in WW2 was adapting to an incredibly, incredibly difficult, terrifying existential threat, and overcoming it, admittedly with a fair bit of help from the US and British. US and British aircraft - Hurricanes and P-40s, A-20s, later P-39s, Spitfires, B-25s helped hold the line during the critical phase in 1942 and earlier 1943 when the Soviet production was struggling to overcome their catastrophic situation. Along with Valentine and Sherman etc. tanks, lots and losts of studebaker trucks, bren carriers and etc. on the ground. But then (most of) these things were replaced by Soviet types which were better adapted to the local conditions.

The Soviets had a ghastly lethargy in reacting to the early calamities, while millions died. Their system was rigid and based on party loyalty rather than merit. Stalin's mass-murder had decimated the leadership. But they gradually started learning and adapting. Some very smart people did get into the right positions eventually. They figured out which tactics worked and did more of that.

In a way, they were like 'The Borg' from Star Trek in this sense. Slow to react at first. But once they dial it in, they are a force to be reckoned with.

You don't have to be a lover of Marxist-Stalinist ideology to recognize what they did right and see if we can learn from it. Every nation in WW2 had significant flaws in everything from design to strategy. All of the major ones also had their merits. I would also say that some traits of the Soviets extend to the current situation.

Due to the German invasion they had to move most of their factories to the other side of the Ural mountains, very quickly. They were already dealing with a basically agrarian population which was thrown into industrial production on a mass-scale. The aircraft designs - including the special plywood used in most of the planes - were based on theoretically possible but difficult to implement and in some cases quite new technologies. Training peasants to fly fighter planes was another huge challenge. The scale of the clusterf*k in the early months of the war was mind boggling, beyond comprehension for me.

They also had lower grade fuel, their main engine was the Hispano 12Y (which I like, but was definitely already getting a little old by the start of the war), and they were lacking in many resources.

The crazy thing is that they did adapt.

They were using the Phenol formaldehyde resin (either Bakelite or something close to it) as a bonding agent for the veneer strips they using for the much of the "plywood" used the fuselage and wing structure.

yes and apparently in the later Yak 9s they put a thin layer of that stuff over the outside of the aircraft skin, on the Yak-9U and some other (late) variants.

It may be a fine line. One reason the Spitfire helped win the BoB was that a new Spitfire lasted longer than a new Hurricane pilot (by a few days, New Hurricane pilots lasted about 2 weeks on average.)

Yes, and I have learned that was also the difference between the P-40 vs P-39, Buffalo, Hurricane etc. in the Pacific, China and North Africa (I know not all these types fought in all Theaters). It basically came down to 1) being able to survive more missions without being shot down, 2) being able to keep the pilot alive more often even if the plane was toast, and then 3) causing a fairly high rate of losses of enemy aircraft when conditions permitted, probably due to the heavy armament. I think better survival rates were largely down to good roll and very good dive acceleration (and low altitude power, once they figured that out).

That is indeed interesting. I'd say even the later I-16 was slightly below that performance threshold at that point in the war where it could intercept enemy aircraft and escort all the friendly strike aircraft. It could still intercept Ju-87s but they were being phased out by then. It could escort IL-2s but would be hard pressed by German fighters that were 100 mph faster.

The I-16 was quite agile, excellent roll rate and a fast turn, but it was like most Soviet fighters limited in it's dive speed for structural reasons, so while a sharp turn can evade temporarily, it doesn't really have a way to escape. I think by 1942, certainly by 1943, I-16s (and I-153s) were mostly being used for ground attack / light close air support, mainly with rockets, like a lot of relatively slow but agile aircraft were during WW2 and continued to be in the later 20th Century.

An I-16 though would have trouble intercepting a later model Ju -88 I think, and have almost no chance of catching a FW 190 fighter-bomber (which is what started replacing those Ju 87s). It could escort an IL-2, SB, or Su-2, but might have trouble keeping up with Pe-2s. So it's perhaps below the threshold of viability, even if it's got a bit better maneuverability and survival rate.

Do you really think there was still a shortage of ShVAK in 1943? (Almost) all the Soviet fighters were short ranged.

Last edited:
One other point I think is relevant to this discussion, is the Soviet analysis and perception of the P-47, which may be a little bit closer to reality, at least for their Theater, than some of the hype we still read about it.

A couple of points. The engineering genius of the MiG-15 was the Nene engine. Certainly not ergonomics or avionics. I'll leave it to SR6 and GrauGeist to discuss the merits of the slow firing cannon. The MiG-25 was a shock to the West. Then a bigger shock when the West actually got a hold of a MiG-25.
Yeah, they pulled off a few goodies and surprises. MiG-21, T-62 (it was scary in the 70s) and the SA-2 were quite good. Once we got to check their stuff out up close, however, not so much.
They had great engineers. We know this from their eulogies. They had brilliant design bureaus that handed the designs to incompetently managed, inadequately equipped factories. Their planes had to be run "flat out" to get the performance to take on, anybody. I get this information from threads here mentioning engine operation and frequent replacement of their engines and Allied supplied engines. I may have misunderstood the technical details.
I am kind of dismissive of Soviet technology. I'm a Cold War kid so I have that baggage.
I believed the scary stories about Soviet Wunder Waffenski. Now I'm a little jaded.

Last edited:
A couple of points. The engineering genius of the MiG-15 was the Nene engine. Certainly not ergonomics or avionics.

Avionics, you are right they were behind. But I think there was more to the overall design than just the (foreign) engine. US and UK also borrowed a lot of foreign technology, US jets in particular benefitted from British engines. The MiG 15 was a very good early jet fighter. So was the F-86. The Vampire was pretty good, though not comparable to a MiG 15. And many other early western jet fighter designs really don't come close, even with theoretically good engines.

I'm really not convinced by the "not so much" part. Was the MiG 21 truly inferior to an F-4 Phantom, an F-105 or an A-7 Corsair? (let's just not even discuss F-102, F-104 etc.). Was the T-62 seriously inferior to an M-60? The SA-2 certainly shot down plenty of Allied, US, and NATO aircraft over the yeas. One (a 1960s vintage Sa-3), long past it's freshness date, even shot down an F-117 in a famous incident that our government and Corporate media, (perhaps in an homage to Soviet era Pravda) denied at the time.

I also seem remember supposedly obsolete MiG 17s and MiG 19s shooting down a fair number of theoretically much more advanced US types.

In my view, we had several scares with Soviet technology where we temporarily got hypnotized by the yawning chasm of disaster that was implied by the idea that they had truly surpassed us in technology overall. Then we got their kit, looked it over and realized it had flaws, and was not so much a quantum leap ahead as fairly close to our own level, with some advantages and disadvantages. Then we convinced ourselves that it was crap, which is another distortion and mistake.

The issues with Soviet engines vs. Allied engines were very different and for quite specific reasons. The Soviet engines were adapted to the need, within the limits of what they started with (the quite small Hispano 12-Y). The amount of resources and materials you put into an engine has to be considered alongside the tragically very high rate at which the aircraft they go into are being lost. Worth reminding the reader that the loss rates also were appallingly high for all Allied aircraft, including British and American, in 1942 (and for the British, back to 1940).

A couple of points. The engineering genius of the MiG-15 was the Nene engine. Certainly not ergonomics or avionics. The MiG-25 was a shock to the West. Then a bigger shock when the West actually got a hold of a MiG-25.
Yeah, they pulled off a few goodies and surprises. MiG-21, T-62 (it was scary in the 70s) and the SA-2 were quite good. Once we got to check their stuff out up close, however, not so much.
They had great engineers. We know this from their eulogies. They had brilliant design bureaus that handed the designs to incompetently managed, inadequately equipped factories. Their planes had to be run "flat out" to get the performance to take on, anybody. I get this from threads here mentioning engine operation and frequent replacement of their engines and Allied supplied engines.

Okay, the Wi-Fi here is a bit wonky so that edit got posted twice.
The Americans did benefit from from British jet technology. We also made our own improvements.
The F-4 was limited by ROE that eliminated its advantages. It was really superior to the MiG-21.
I said the T-62 was scary, and I'm a fan of the M60. The T-62 made us come up with something better. We did.
I said the SA-2 was a surprise. I think I said it was quite good.
The F-117 shoot down was a combination of NATO complacency and a surprising bit of initiative and luck on the other (non Russian) side. BTW, the F-117 pilot and the missile battery CO are now friends and have played some b-ball together.
What does your last point have to do with Soviet craptitude?

Lets think about this for a second.

Some of the less successful early WW2 American and British combat aircraft of 1940-42:

F2A Buffalo
P-39
TBD Devastator
Vought Vindicator
Brewster Buccaneer
SO3C Seamew
Boulton Paul Defiant
Blackburn Roc
Fairey Battle
Armstrong Witworth Whitley
Handley Page Hampden

Some of the Soviet 'fails':

I-153
I-16
SB-2
TB-3
LaGG-3
MiG-3

There are also some later Western Allied 'partial fails' like the SB2C and the Barracuda.

Most of the Soviet inferior aircraft were just old types they kept a little too long. Which everyone else also did to some extent or another. (I didn't put the Gladiator on the list, for example, because it was used pretty effectively in secondary Theaters in the early war). Of the newer Soviet designs, only LaGG-3 and MiG-3 stand out in my mind as unsuccessful, but as i said already I think the problems with the LaGG-3 are a big exaggerated, and it was eventually made to work fairly well, and led to the very successful La 5.

Compare this to some of the comparatively expensive disasters like the P-39, Buccaneer, Defiant, etc. (although of course, we know the P-39 which didn't do well for the Americans and was rejected by the British, was successfully adapted by the Soviets...)

Users who are viewing this thread