Steve Fosset missing

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

evangilder

"Shooter"
Sep 17, 2004
Moorpark, CA
www.vg-photo.com
World aviation record-holder Steve Fossett is missing and a massive search is under way in western Nevada, a Nevada aviation spokeswoman said Tuesday.

Steve Fossett is missing and a search is under way.

Fossett took off from a private air strip known as Flying M Ranch, near Smith Valley, 30 miles south of Yerington, Nevada, on Monday, with enough fuel for four to five hours of flight, according to the Civil Air Patrol. Yerington is south of Carson City, near the California border.

Civil Air Patrol Maj. Cynthia S. Ryan said authorities are searching hundreds of miles of rugged terrain in western Nevada. They also are analyzing information from radar intelligence to try to track Fossett.

Search under way for aviation pioneer Steve Fossett and his plane - CNN.com

this has been a very crap year of late for air shows and MIA personell.............

***** ENOUGH I SAY ! *****

man I am praying about this Mustangs and legends comin up

He was flying in a single-engine, Citabria Super Decathlon -- a plane capable of aerobatics -- with tail number N240R, according to CAP. Fossett, though, had no parachute, which is required for aerobatics.

Wonder why 'no chute' ? Hope he's OK.....

Charles

How is not filing a flight plan a blunder? If you are going out for a VFR flight, you don't have to file one. It's not required and I know that most pilots don't want to bother if they are just going out to fly. They want to fly, not be bothered with paperwork...

How is not filing a flight plan a blunder? If you are going out for a VFR flight, you don't have to file one. It's not required and I know that most pilots don't want to bother if they are just going out to fly. They want to fly, not be bothered with paperwork...

It's not required for VFR flight - but it's definitely good practice. In the USMC/USN, we're required to file flight plans for all flights. It normally takes no more than 5 minutes to fill out the flight plan and call it into an FSS. Hell, you can even call when airborne to file and open the flight plan.

What's more odd is that his ELT beacon didn't go off.

What's more odd is that his ELT beacon didn't go off.

Yeah, that is odd. Those things go off from changes in air pressure.

He's down, that's pretty much certain. But where and in what condition is the question. Hope he's still alive.

Eric, was this guy flying on the east side of the Sierra's ? they have had some pretty viscious winds and wild weather the lat weeks..........

this may sound weird but remember just several weeks ago we were talking of the a/c and one of the crew found on one of the south Glaciers in the Kings Canyon in the southern Sierra, the guy had been buried in the ice for many years undisturbed. hopefull this chap has not found a similar fate

E

It's not required for VFR flight - but it's definitely good practice. In the USMC/USN, we're required to file flight plans for all flights. It normally takes no more than 5 minutes to fill out the flight plan and call it into an FSS. Hell, you can even call when airborne to file and open the flight plan.

Same in the Army. And as you said you can even file and open over the radio if it is really needed.

If I'm flying in populated area I never file a flight plan unless I'm IFR but I keep 121.5 tuned in one of the radios. In the mountains (where I rarely go) or on long cross countries over desolate areas I l aways file and even go IFR...

You would think he would be wearing it. It is a shame it has been a terrible year for aviation (particularly in the States). Richard Branson was quoted as saying something along the lines of "if anyone could get the aircraft down it would be Steve". I hope he is alright and that he is found soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back