Strange Airplanes from WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

50671014516_f85b61572b_b.jpg
Musee de l'Air 116

:shock:

Hans, high up in his Bachstelze spots a destroyer aggressively bearing down on the U boat, knowing full well that if the sub has to crash dive, he's in for a swim until the danger passes, says with a straight face... "Nein, not a schnitzel to be seen, Herr Kommandant..."

Wasn't there a swept-wing turbo-prop canard, pusher civvy aircraft introduced in the 80s similar to this planform as well?

A little Googling reminds me -- the Beech Starship, sold in the tens of aircraft.

View attachment 633249

It apparently couldn't compete with Learjets et al.
withdrawn from service due critical design flaw - corrosion in main fuselage longerons buried in composite structure - impossible to repair and very difficult for inspection. But anyway, in my opinion, Starship was one of the best looking airplanes in it's class ever build.

withdrawn from service due critical design flaw - corrosion in main fuselage longerons buried in composite structure - impossible to repair and very difficult for inspection. But anyway, in my opinion, Starship was one of the best looking airplanes in it's class ever build.
They sounded cool too.

I had no idea it had those problems; thanks for the info! And agreed, it was a very handsome airplane to my eyes as well.

To quote wiki
An unusual feature was the fixed undercarriage. Although fixed, the undercarriage was fitted with a retractable fairing. This feature was intended to familiarize student pilots with an undercarriage retraction mechanism but without causing external damage by a forgetful student.

The several times I saw Forts being restored were in the late 60s at a farm in Saskatchewan Canada. I was impressed by the size (small) and workmanship but did not pay any attention to the cockpit.

It would be interesting to find if any manuals or pilot notes survived. None are listed in Worldcat.
Where was that exactly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back