Strange Airplanes from WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Retractable fairings?
To quote wiki
An unusual feature was the fixed undercarriage. Although fixed, the undercarriage was fitted with a retractable fairing. This feature was intended to familiarize student pilots with an undercarriage retraction mechanism but without causing external damage by a forgetful student.

The several times I saw Forts being restored were in the late 60s at a farm in Saskatchewan Canada. I was impressed by the size (small) and workmanship but did not pay any attention to the cockpit.

It would be interesting to find if any manuals or pilot notes survived. None are listed in Worldcat.

Well, Blackburn was responding to official specifications, the planes they built were judged to be the best bet by the air ministry of fulfilling the specification out of all the proposals submitted. given a choice between the Blackburn design and Westland's it is a tough call.
View attachment 614081

That frog has grown wings.

Certainly do not to me either and Wiki has never been known for accuracy.

However Wiki do say 100% of Forts produced were built as, or converted to, Wireless (Radio) trainers and the small football antenna just forward of the rear canopy in both the Wiki and flugzeuginfo photos suggests the CNAC example is a Wireless trainer rather than an unconverted early example. In order to compensate for the weight of all the boat anchors radios fitted I would expect the retractable fairings to have been deleted, along with anything else that was not essential for training radio operators like dual controls, instruments, etc.

The drip trays under the aircraft in the flugzeuginfo photo suggest this aircraft is airworthy and operational which is great.

Ambrosini SS.4

ambrosini_ss-4_1.jpg

Predated the J7W and the XP55 by a few years... Development was halted in 1942 and, during development, the chief test pilot died after a hard landing in the first prototype, crushed by the engine (the large mass of the engine, located at the front, actually protected the pilot in conventional planes in similar accidents).

Ambrosini SS.4

View attachment 633233

Predated the J7W and the XP55 by a few years... Development was halted in 1942 and, during development, the chief test pilot died after a hard landing in the first prototype, crushed by the engine (the large mass of the engine, located at the front, actually protected the pilot in conventional planes in similar accidents).
And another new one for me.

Somebody even made a flying RC model of it:

Piaggio (they don't make only trendy scooters ;) ) still have a pusher in production, although, this one also has a T tail: it's as if it's as if a J7W and a DC-9 mated and had an offrsping :lol::crazy:

View attachment 633236

Wasn't there a swept-wing turbo-prop canard, pusher civvy aircraft introduced in the 80s similar to this planform as well?

A little Googling reminds me -- the Beech Starship, sold in the tens of aircraft.

1200px-Beechcraft_Starship_fly-by.jpg

It apparently couldn't compete with Learjets et al.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back