Stripped down Mosquito MK IV 1/32

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

So, I'll do it in this topic, a new chater, "how to paint a 1/32 figure............or not"

Well, this isn't my favorite schale, normally I work in the 120 mm scale and what I said before it's a long time ago I panted a figure. Not that you don't remember how to do, but it's like riding a bicycle, once you learned, you never forget it, but after a long time not riding, the first meters are walking like a drunken sailor

So I glued some parts on it and looks after them, not bad, not bad at all, the grey one (Blackdog) has more detail then the yellow one (Aires)

I primed the men and painted the basic colors on it, I do really no once follow the colors like described, I always made my own Impression

And WTF, problems........"Why"

Well lookk at the pic, there are a big hole in his nose and in his goggles to airholes, so I've repair that, alwys nice ion a figgie of 54 mm (aprox 2 inches)

"I just see one pilot"

Yep, and therefor see the remakes of Andy. I knew it but while searching, I focused on the Irving jacks
So, I.ve to find a new figure and found one in ENgland, Elan 13 and love to the Brexit, I've to pay taxes aswell

I tried to paint I always do withmy figures, really painting in shadows and highlights, but I think it's better dus do it with washes and drybrushing

You can hopefully image my feelings when I saw the last pictures. working with a smalls cale isn;t that good to see and then I used pics to observate, but this looks terible, maybe I can corrected with some more washes, glazings and drybrushing

Well, it's a bit better, but now a part of the nose has gone, so I must took some glue, but with the last washes, I will be good

So I started again, cleaned both in the brake fluid, pay attention. only use the DOT4 and not the DOT5.1 the latter is just greasy silicone crap, but yes, I still had left over from the brake change on my bike, you can also mix it very badly I found out, the 5.1 floats nicely, so I had to wash the figures a little more often than I wanted.
Anyway,
First I prepared some colors that I think I need

And under the music of the Rolling Stones "Paint it black" and the oldie "I dreaming of a white Christmas" just put one figure in the black and white base. Familiar technique, but I had never really tried it. Unfortunately my compressor had died a quiet death so I had to paint

OW just a warning for the more sensitive viewers, the photos are quite macro-sized, so it looks much worse than in real life with these 54 mm high guys

And then we apply a 1 on 1 thinned paint layer, you get something like this

Mwah, I'm not really impressed, I think I'll spray next time

Luckily I don't need this one, but it's a good exercise, right?

Just colored the other one, oh why not

I have to say that I've been working on the highlights here and there for a while.

you see those figures with those very nice transitions from dark to light and you watch those YT movies and then it seems so damn easy, but nothing could be further from the truth, even for someone who has already painted a lot of figures and busts it is difficult on this scale in my experience

Well, keep going with all kinds of highly diluted layers of paint, the wet palette is starting to look cozy

The advantage is that you can mix well on such a wet palette without it drying right away, but I sometimes wait too long to replace the paper and you still get some contamination from particles and some hardened paint, I have to pay attention to that because that can pretty much ruin your day.

and then in a series the progression of the figures

The pilot for this project

And lad 2

I definitely have to improve the pants on the pilot and do the harrow vision on both.

But, I have now found the navigator in England, a pity that you still have to pay 22 euros in tax, clearance costs and shipping costs over a figgie of 18 euros, but unfortunately these figures cannot be found in Europe

Received a book from Japan yesterday, the seller must have emptied his entire cupboard for stamps, because the package was completely covered with stamps.
But I have another book about the DH Mosquito

Still, it's worth looking around on the net, because I saw it at Amazon too, by the way also another book I already had

I did send them a chat message that the book of 302 euros is available in the Netherlands for 32 euros, the other book, well, I also see 80 US dollars

It's been a month since I posted anything, but hey, vacation, hot weather, 2 young cats, motorcycling, in short, a lot of other things that take up some model building time. In addition, I was not satisfied with my first version of the tail, the wings were, but the controls in the fuselage. It wasn't right, so I've been looking and drawing again and now I understand what it was all about. Weird really, because all kinds of things can be found of the cockpit, bomb compartments, wheel wells and engines, but there is hardly anything of a tail, so mainly blurry photos of restoration projects are enlarged. Everything I draw I print out, and sometimes you have to redraw something 2 or 3 times because it's too thin, maybe to scale, but not as a moving part, so I had to make some concessions here and there. Now I haven't saved the drawing yet, so it will come, but if you let the printer run you will eventually get something like this

After rinsing and a bit of finishing, some parts still need to be rebuilt because it is too weak, see the brass parts on the push and pull rods, you still get a nice aftermarket resin set

I soldered the rotary shafts at the ends, I find it more pleasant than CA line

people who know me know what kind of hands I have, but for those who don't know me, so these are the coal shovels I have to deal with

Because it is small, I immediately printed a few supports, for both bulkheads 7 and 6 and for 4 and 5

and check with the hull I got from the revell kit

Then it's a matter of putting the parts together

and make spacers to align everything a bit

and eventually you will get this, only the trim part still needs to be installed

The figures are almost ready, I just need to finish them a little and put them in the picture

So. a liitle update
I have now drawn the rudder and printed it out quickly to see if the construction will work as I expected, the first version did too, but the rudder deflection was just too small for the beautiful, so I decided to do that again I'm going to do it, actually I'm going to make everything all over again I'm afraid. Well, that's how you always stay off the street, huh?

The rudder still needs to be corrected on a few points, but for now I can use this

Also added the pilot and navigator

Captain John "the Mustache" Wilton and LT Brian "Bear" Johnson watch their own plane undergoing maintenance after a flight over France

Yes, John is pointing at the bent rudder

I also have a YT video with the operation and deflection of the rudder. Yes, that's much better, the only thing that doesn't work is the trim function

Users who are viewing this thread