Stuff you wish someone had told you as a rookie!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yea, i was wondering about the edges too, seems just like trying to hand paint a straight line. I do like the idea of covering the cockpit canopy with it. wonder if you could just slice out the thin metal canopy metal frame, paint it and then peel the rest off. I've used scotch tape for that in the past. works but a bi*ch to get off.

Does not bleed............... Not one Bit. Just make sure it is thick enough to peel from the area to be painted. Too thin and you can't lift it without shredding. Believe me, for sign work, you do Not want any bleeding edges! Just remember it's water soluble. So you need to test it the way you want to use it. Just to make sure it will not disolve the paint it is applied over.

For making straight lines I always use thin strips of masking tape.For instance Tamiya. The area between these strips can be fill with Maskol. But for large areas that need to be shrouded I use larger masking tape or paper ( cardboard) templates.

Ugh, I've just realized my hands are really shaky when doing the small detail painting.. Haven't applied any paint yet, just tried out my finest detail brush but damn, I didn't know my hands were that unstable :p

seiseki, rest the part on something solid and rest your hand as well. for very fine detail, like wires, I use a permanent marker, don't know about where you live but here they sell paint pens which are a lot like a markers except they contain liquid paint. try a craft-type store or art-supply store

seiseki, rest the part on something solid and rest your hand as well. for very fine detail, like wires, I use a permanent marker, don't know about where you live but here they sell paint pens which are a lot like a markers except they contain liquid paint. try a craft-type store or art-supply store

I saw someone mention that in another thread!
I'll keep that in mind, for now the brush will have to do :p

I also created a new thread for my Zero: http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/st...-22-zero-rookie-builder-27390.html#post747178

Art and craft-type stores carry a wider variety than hobby. I have some very fine brushes with very fat handles which make them easier to hold than some of those very thin handles that you generally find on fine brushes

for steadying your hand like mike said rest part of it or i have seen "crutches" made for this. these were mostly used by guys lettering doors. basically take a dowel rod and put a non-skid cushion on both ends...like a piece of chamios. one end rests on the table or whatever and the other is held in your palm while you paint.

good to know about that mascol...i am going to have to get me some. now if i can just buy a bottle of ambition all would be well.

Bobby, never heard of the dowel idea before but I like it
Ambition is a wife PO'd about all the money you spent for all those unbuilt kits laying around

In sign writing it's called a "mahl" stick, pronounced "mall". It can be made from anything, mine was, is, an old 35" golf putter shaft with the grip left on, the smooth type. At the end I use an old rubber ball. In the case of the small stuff we are doing, a little bridge made of anything would work fine. A strip of wood with a block of wood at either end. This would allow the piece being painted to rest under the bridge. Thus, steadying the hand doing the painting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back