SU-27 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

marconi

Airman 1st Class
May 31, 2005
Kiev, Ukraine
Most of the Russian sources state that SU-27 is the best modern fighter and it has no analogues in the world.How true is this statement? Is it really the best fighter?

Maybe, but how many of them are in the Army, Air Forces, Navy or anywhere else? X-fighter from "Star wars" is also superior to SU-27.Lets talk about more "usual" fighters which are believed to be the main air power of the USA, UK and other NATO countries nowadays.

Well? I'm sorry if I offended you but I really thought that they aren't adopted by the USAF. Yet still I'm interested in your opinion about SU-27.As I've said before Russians say that it is better than any NATO fighter
(excluding F-22 ;)). Is it true or is it partially true or is it propaganda?

SU-27 is probably a great aircraft. How proficient are Russian pilots these days? I have heard that money is limited and Russian pilots only fly a few hours a month. You could have the best plane in the world but if you don't stay proficent flying it you might as well just park it.

The USAF plans to buy 339 F-22s. Right now I believe 10 have been built.

i've always believed the Su-27 was/is a truely great plane, cirtainly better than the F-15, proberly equal with the F-22, she is a phenominal bird, and the russians have some of the worlds finest pilots too........

I read that the USAF had started training a "few" pilots in the F-22 in late 2004. So, it's a regular aircraft in my book because it's starting to see training service. Most likely in operational conversion units.

For what its worth I believe that the SU27 is an excellent aircraft aerodynamicaly roughtly equal to the F15 but let down by its avionics which are behind the latest in the west.
Its certainly better than other western jets in service, Tornado's, Mirages, F16, but how it would handle the latest wave of planes, Eurofighter, Rafael, Grippen I don't know. my suspicion is that it would lose out on the avionics which is so important these days.

Glider said:
For what its worth I believe that the SU27 is an excellent aircraft aerodynamicaly roughtly equal to the F15 but let down by its avionics which are behind the latest in the west.
Its certainly better than other western jets in service, Tornado's, Mirages, F16, but how it would handle the latest wave of planes, Eurofighter, Rafael, Grippen I don't know. my suspicion is that it would lose out on the avionics which is so important these days.

Agree - but as mentioned earlier I understand that the Russian AF is money strapped and training hours are limited. If you don't stay proficient, you could have the best wiz-bang fighter in the world and you'll be worthiless in combat. I recently read that the average Russian pilot only flies 3 hours a month!

The Su-27 is a great aircraft. Probably the best of its kind in the world especially when compared to the F-15, F-16 and so forth however the F-22 is coming into Service now which means it is in service and it is the same kind of fighter as the Su-27. Therefore it should be counted against the Su-27 and it beats out the Su-27 hands down.

I still love the Su-27 though. I got to see it fly at an airshow in England. Man it was impressive.

FJ is correct the amount of training that the Soviet Pilots have would be a concern for most countries.
The F22 is the best fighter around and is likely to remain so for the medium/long term but its numbers will be limited and I doubt if many, or even any will be sold to other countries.
With that in mind Marconi does have a point and the 'normal' fighters should be compared to the SU27. My position has been stated before and I believe that it will be second to the latest Eurofighters, Rafael, Grippen. As a result they will not be a major concern to Europe but will be when bought by countries hostile to Thailand, Taiwan and other allies of the west who will not be able to affort the more modern planes.

I posted some cool pics of the Su-37 and 47 in another thread somewhere, I dont remember where but if you want to see them you can go find them I guess. There was also some info on the thrust vectoring they have.

BTW I saw some pictures of American analogue of S-37.As far as I know that project was abandoned in 1980's.Does anybody know anything about it?

Russian R&D has always impressed the hell out of me. Even today, while the Russian military as a whole may not have the biggest budget, the best training, or the largest numbers (compared to the old Soviet military), they still continue to develope some amazing machines. They may or may not ever see widespread service in the Russian Air Force, but they're still amazing machines.

(I wish I could say the same thing about Canada. :rolleyes: )

I think the S-37 was developed after the X-29. The X-29 first flew on December 14, 1984. The second one didn't fly until almost 5 years later, on May 23, 1989. The first one flew at least 240 test flights. It was a good test bed for testing new technologies, but it was proven the forward swept wing did not improve aerodynamic drag like it was theorized. But it was used to prove out a number of other theories and improvements including vortex control and using canards for improved longitudinal control.

From what I have read, the S-37 started as the S-32 and that development was in the 1990s. But this was not the first Russian airplane with forward swept wings. Was the S-37 influenced by thee X-29? Hard to say as the Russians had played with FSW in the 1970s as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back