Suggestions For Repairing My Dreadful Rookie Mistake

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Greets Gents - I promised to post a pic or two when the Hellcat was done. Apologies for the delay - a few surgeries and a foot I busted to bupkis. But all is as well as it gets, so here goes: up there...

I left the port wing gun bay panel ajar. I'm not pleased with the barrel alignment so just kept the starboard bay open.

There are a ton of building (and historical) errors and many things I would do differently. But this is only the second project I've attempted after 35 years away from the hobby.

Please critique what you see, as I'd really like all the feedback you all have to offer. I aspire to the results you all post, and your comments will be incorporated into all my future builds. Doing Tamiya's 1/48 Spitfire Mk. Vb Tropical I promised for a friend- before the Hellcat. Fortunately my friend is very patient!

I may have misfiled this post but wanted continuity with earlier posts. Hope it's ok.
2E07E5EC-08BD-4171-A3D3-5A163C940B0D.jpeg 8BD3CC67-37E7-4D19-A04C-8141B323D7AC.jpeg F1A09CF7-A27C-4501-AB57-0544E8C9F038.jpeg CC098743-3E2D-4161-9348-933C53948722.jpeg 30F7821D-DE42-4D49-916D-A8CB8A468BAD.jpeg C68BFEC5-60E3-4BE9-9D94-0D4E60FFC9EF.jpeg D64AA291-22A4-4270-AEC9-580C9E666E45.jpeg 65C6BBDB-D315-4C1C-B768-15EC1AFD0F09.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks gents! I know I don't need to tell you what a blast it is researching the project, scratch building parts that are inaccurate or missing. And damn it is really neat scribing absent hatches!

Hey, are you aware of this stuff called Gauzy Glass Coat Agent? The rub on it was it does nothing that Pledge will do for clear parts. I have now tried it and it gives a much better result than any I achieved on canopies with floor polish. Pics don't do it justice, so I'll let you try it and get the same 'holy crap' moment I had. I used it on canopies from 2 1/48 kits I've been asked to do - a Zeke chased by a Corsair suspended. Has anyone modeled burning from a wing or engine? I'm thinking maybe some whispy cotton airbrushed with some black and orange?

I get nothing out of the product I mentioned other than the satisfaction of passing along something I found that works! The stupidly expensive GodHand nippers are another. Best damn tree part cutter I've ever used. Of course considering the price it bloody well should!

Cheers!

Last edited:
The pic you have attached above wasn't uploaded properly. It is invalid and generates an error. Please edit your post and upload the shot again.

I've deleted the pic - it was just a shot of the canopy clearing stuff I mentioned. I couldn't make it work - odd as I had no problem with the Hellcat pics.

Thanks Group for every suggestion, guidance and assurances you gave while I made fixes. Joining WW2aircraft was maybe my best idea since deciding to pick up building again!

It certainly pulled my chestnuts from the fire after my dreadful senior moment -

Chip

Users who are viewing this thread

Back