Swiss Invasion?!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

timshatz

Chief Master Sergeant
Mar 29, 2006
Phila, Pa
Swiss accidentally invade Liechtenstein

What began as a routine training exercise almost ended in an embarrassing diplomatic incident after a company of Swiss soldiers got lost at night and marched into neighboring Liechtenstein.

According to Swiss daily Blick, the 170 infantry soldiers wandered just over a mile across an unmarked border into the tiny principality early Thursday before realizing their mistake and turning back.

A spokesman for the Swiss army confirmed the story but said that there were unlikely to be any serious repercussions for the mistaken invasion.

"We've spoken to the authorities in Liechtenstein and it's not a problem," Daniel Reist told The Associated Press.

Officials in Liechtenstein also played down the incident.

Interior ministry spokesman Markus Amman said nobody in Liechtenstein had even noticed the soldiers, who were carrying assault rifles but no ammunition. "It's not like they stormed over here with attack helicopters or something," he said.

Liechtenstein, which has about 34,000 inhabitants and is slightly smaller than Washington DC, doesn't have an army.

That is not true. Lichtenstein has 3 soldiers! :lol:

They use them for ceremonial purposes. I saw them at a Germany-Lichtenstein Football game.

Now there's a job worth having. Being 33% of Lichtenstein's Army. Talk about job security. No wars, no training, just keep your uniform up to snuff and go to football games.

Where do I sign?

Lucky it wasn't an invasion I wouldn't want to be 1 of those 3 soldiers trying to stave off 170 swiss soldiers with their swiss army knives at the ready.:D

Also attached is the a pic of the swiss armies elite bycyle brigade now disbanded.

Attachments

• url.jpg
    url.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 172
  • swiss.jpg
    swiss.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 162
The Swiss Army is actually very very good. I have a soon to be brother in law who is in the swiss army. My unit did some training with the Swiss as well. Inside there own element in the mountains of Switzerland they are a tough nut to crack.

:lol: They realised their mistake though and no Lichtensteinians saw them (they only knew when the Swiss told them). Still it isn't as bad as them sending a rocket into a protected forest which started a fire and burned the forest down (like they did in 1985)...

Which validates my disbelief - if the Pope truly had faith, then he would have no need of guards, because nothing bad would be allowed to happen to him.... :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back