T Bolt's 1:1 P-47 Cockpit

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys.
I have been trying to work out how I'm going to do the upper sidewall framing that the rear if the windscreen sits on, forming the sill of the cockpit opening (the area circled in red in the picture). It's much more complicated than the sidewall framing done so far. I want to get it done because then the next step is buying and installing the skin, which I've been waiting to do for over a year now. I told you this is a long-term project!
:)

KAG%20%20srutsu2-3.jpg

Last edited:
It looks relatively easy, for the top part, I would get someone to fold up some 16gauge ally into a 'U'.
Gary has a folder as does our museum and they are relatively common in US/UK.

I am about to buy a shrinker/stretcher which will allow me to some fabricating formers for my P51 and Gary's and the new Spit.

I may be able to help make some bits later if you have drawings. I come over to the US every now and then so that might help.

cheers and keep up the excellent work!!

Tony

PS I may have acquired something nice for the collection!! Secret as yet!!

Great to see 'Hands across the Sea' aid going on here - good stuff Tony. (Like old times, really ..... !)

Thanks for the offer Tony, but I think I have it worked out. I have a 30" sheet metal break (what I think you're referring to as a bender) so I can make up the vertical "C" channels. The horizontal piece at the cockpit sill I'll make out of hardwood clad in light aluminum sheet. The angled vertical brace that is sandwiched between two of the "C" channels I'll also make from wood with aluminum cladding. Using a wood core for these pieces, helps make them easier to attach, as I have no way to rivet (other than pop rivets which I use only where they're not visible) and all metal-to-metal connections have to be bolted, so using a screw in this case would be much easier.

Cheers for reply Glenn, glad youve got it fixed. Rivetting (solid) is no big deal and looks (cos it is) the real deal. Just need an air hammer (about $40) a cheap compressor (about $150) and a bucking bar and helper!!! Worth doing if you get the chance.

That's great news Tony! So when are you starting the Thunderbolt pit? Mine went from a just a panel to a cockpit when I found the windscreen. The side window Plexiglas is covered with a protective paper that peels off with a little work using a fingernail to get it started. I took it off the inside of one side to see if I could, but left the rest on until the screen is permanently installed. The Plexiglas underneath looks like its brand new!

P8205460.JPG

Last edited:
I would like to Glenn, but it will have to join the queue!!!! Thanx for advice on side screen....should be fun!! It will be doing a display in 2 weeks time at a former Jug base!!

So I gotta ask, where the heck do you finda P-47 windscreen?
Warbird-parts.com. The guy there told me he found a bunch of them that had been on a shelf at the place they were manufactured since 1945. I think he said it was the Corning Glasswhere factory somewhere way west of Chicago. He bought them all up and has them for sale. The one I got was somewhat beat-up and could not be used on an airworthy aircraft so the price was considerably less than the pristine ones. I just took a look, and the prices have more than doubled since I bought mine a couple of years ago. I would not be able to afford it now.

P4301698.JPG

Last edited:
Hi Glenn, SNAP!!! I don't wish to hijack your thread but here is my toy!!! Amazing the fact that when he bought them, the windscreens were still laid out on the production line in various states of assemblage...mine came with its label passing it off at all stages except for acceptance by Republic!

Attachments

• P1050369.jpg
    P1050369.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 156

Users who are viewing this thread

Back