T Bolt's 1:1 P-47 Cockpit

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Very nice Tony! Looks just like mine only not as beat-up around the edges. It should clean up just fine. Does yours have the rear view mirror also? Getting the paper proctor off that was not easy!

No mirror sadly - looking for one! When you said about peeling the paper off I went out and had a laugh thinking no way is it the same, but it is! Will un peel in next few days. I may polish the metal to represent my favourite Jug - No Guts No Glory!!
I came away with a few trinkets and empty wallet!!

Glenn, do you have drawings of the instrument panel please?! When I do recreate a section it will be a pure quarter cockpit (i.e. windscreen, panel, sticktop and throttle....any help appreciated.

I do have a drawing Tony, I just have to locate it. It's not an "Official" drawing though, but one I made up myself by taking photos of actual panels and scaling off them using the known diameter of the instruments as a reference. I believe it's pretty accurate. A straight on photo of a real panel and mine look close anyway. I'll have a look in my shop for it. Probably buried under something.

1.jpg
3.JPG
4.jpg
5.JPG

Last edited:
a while since I've worked on this. I came up with problems on every one of the several things I was working on and I guess I just walked away from the whole thing for a while. One of the problems was how I was going to construct the upper fuselage framing which the rear of the windscreen sits on. (it's been on temp supports). Well I've given it a lot of thought and hopefully come up with a plan

Picture 1 The cockpit as it's been the last few months. The red lines are the cockpit sill beam which I'll make out of hardwood clad in thin aluminum flashing. The blue lines are the fuselage ribs that support it which will be made out of bent sheet aluminum. There will also be a pair if the ribs on either side of the temp support of the windscreen, and the temp support will be replaced with a similar one made of hardwood and clad in aluminum.

Picture 2 One of the partly finished cockpit sills propped up in position. Next work will start on the aluminum ribs.

I know it's not much, but it's a start.......again

P2146428.JPG
P2146429.JPG

Last edited:
Way to go dude !.

Just wait till you start laying some skin on then she'll leap into life

You really need to crack on with your beastie as I'm gonna need some new piccies for a display at this years Cockpitfest !

Just wait till you start laying some skin on then she'll leap into life
That's the next big goal, I just need to get the upper fuselage framing squared away. I'm really beginning to envy you're straight fuselage sides. Getting everything made to line up properly so the skin lays on evenly is beginning to become a nightmare. Once the skin's on everything else should be easy......well except for maybe the bomb release panel mount which was another one of my stumbling blocks.

Thanks Terry, Andy
Picture 1 I managed to make the main support ribs after hours of measuring, checking, making paper patterns and checking again. These are important because they give the shape to the whole upper cockpit, support the cockpit sill, properly position the windscreen, and hold a good deal of the weight of the windscreen that weighs 40 lbs due to it's 1-1/2" bullet proof glass.
Picture 2 The ribs and sills test fitted after some tweaking. After I get them clad in aluminum, painted, and attached, I'll begin making the little aluminum cripple ribs that fit under them.

P2156431.JPG
P2156432.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back