T Bolt's 1:1 P-47 Cockpit

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Glenn

Agreed on Alu..the couple of times i have had to do bits in steel, I have sulked for three days.

Can't wait to see your next batch of progress pics

A little more progress.

Decided the de-froster and cockpit ventilation duct would be easier to install before the panel was in the way so I made them up today.

The first two pictures are the de-froster bar vent from the real thing.
The 3rd, 4th and 5th pictures is of my version made out of copper tubeing. Made up, test fitted and finally painted and installed
The 6th picture is the real thing again. The thing in the red circle is the cockpit vent nozzle
Picture 7 is my version roughed out of a piece of 1-1/4" PVC tubing and a T fitting. It hill be smoothed out with bondo, sanded, and the open ends of the T will be capped with aluminum disks left over from cutting out the panel (Amazingly enough the exact size I need) and painted with chromate primer before being attached to the floor.

01 0447531.jpg
02 4021_search-lost-fighter-4_12801024.jpg
03 P4161663.JPG
04 P4161662.JPG
05 P4161664.JPG
06 p47 lt.jpg
07 P4161668.JPG

Last edited:
Terry: Go for it! The Luftwaffe needs to be represented too…..

Chris: The cockpit wasn't fire damaged, the plane had just been pulled out of a lake in Austria when the picture had been taken a few years ago. Not bad condition for being under water for 60 years

Yep, around 8 feet long by four high, if I include the wing root and a bit of fuselage fore and aft of the cockpit. It's just finding somewhere convenient to build and store it - and someone to help, as my hands etc will prevent mme doing some jobs. One of these days......

Chris: The cockpit wasn't fire damaged, the plane had just been pulled out of a lake in Austria when the picture had been taken a few years ago. Not bad condition for being under water for 60 years

Ohhh, Thanks for the clarification Glenn. Think I read something about that 47. Is it the same aircraft that while trying to do an impressive on the water low level pass for liberated population had a prop strike with the water?

Just a quick update (without pictures)

I've done a little work on the vent system over the last few evenings when I had a minute to spare but it will be next week before I can do any more work, as my basement privileges have been revoked until then due to the pending visit of over-night guests this weekend and the need to get the house in order. :cry:

Hopefully an explosion of renewed activity next week. :rolleyes:

Wow glenn that one superb piece of work mate brilliant.BB

Wow glenn that one superb piece of work mate brilliant.BB

Thanks BB. I didn't see your post there earlier.

The only problem with the whole project is that it taken away the little time I use to have for model building. I haven't touched one in over two years and looking over this forum the past few weeks has relay got me itching to start in on one of my many stashed kits.

Had a few very constructive hours last night after the guests left and mounted the control panel. It was a lot more difficult than I had expected as the attachment holes were being difficult about lining up, but nothing that couldn't be fixed with my trusty crowbar.

I just had to try it out so I replaced the windscreen and seat. (And yes Gary I made Pratt Whitney noises)

Next step is either to finish making and install the sub-panels or start in on the ribs. I haven't decided yet, right now I'm just happy to have the panel installed as it makes it look like I'm getting somewhere.

:D:D

P4251675.JPG
P4251679.JPG
P4251683.JPG

Last edited:
Looks beautiful Glenn, I was waiting for the instrument panel mounted photo. Very nice work!

-Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back