T Bolt's 1:1 P-47 Cockpit

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

(And yes Gary I made Pratt Whitney noises):D:D

Actually mate....I think I would make spluttering noises followed by a few coughs before mumbling away to myself if I was offered the chance to try your pit out as well !!:thumbleft: I mean, as far as I know, your project is pretty much unique...I'm not aware of seeing any '47 'pits anywhere recently, either in a magazine or a dusty corner of a museum, so absolute top marks for recreating a fantastic Jug....and in the basement as well !. She's going to look the absolute biz...not that she doesn't at the moment !....when she's completed.

One thing that does strike me from your pics is just how roomy that 'plane is. OK, I know she weighed in at around seven tons in fighting trim, but compared to how small and narrow others, like the Spit and '51 are, she's almost palatial by comparison.

Having looked in detail at your build, I'm actually getting the hots for starting a Corsair when the '51 is complete...thats another big 'front office' fighter and it would sure make a pleasant change to work on something that doesnt involve contortionism to fit anything to !

Havent asked yet, but do you have a color scheme / name in mind...is she going to be a bare metal babe or camo'ed up ?. And thats something that I get the impression isnt that far in the future before you're showing us pics !.

Thanks Guys!! :D:D

It was fun sitting there with one hand on the throttle and the other on the stick (will be better when I make the grip!) I've read somewhere that the 47 had the largest cockpit of any WWII fighter and I can certainly believe it, you could almost get up and walk around to stretch your legs!! What a world of difference from fighters like the Spit of the 109 that you wore like a glove. At least the 51s pit wasn't quite that tight.

Gary you should think about a Corsair (as long as you can find the room for it) that way the Marines and Navy would be represented as well. A later model F4U would be easier to make as it had a floor unlike the earlier models which had only troughs under the rudder pedals.

As far as the color scheme I plan on doing bare metal with OD anti glare under the windscreen, but leaving the windscreen bare. There is not much room for markings but I thought I would put the stenciled Model #, load capacity, fuel ect. on the left side. The actual position of the stencil on the real thing was a little more forward of the limit of my build but I will invoke "Artistic License". On the right side will be the name "Laura" in red script as my daughter has lobbied heavily to have it named after her.

Next step from here I think will be finishing and installing the sub-panel with the oxygen gauges, and installing the Primer/Identification light switch panel. (There seems to be some interference between the prime pump body and the main horizontal fuselage beam that I will have to solve), then I will start to think about fabricating the Bomb/Tank release panel and the main switch/circuit breaker panel and box. Not to mention starting work on the ribs and all the brackets the go on them to hold the radio and oxygen equipment. And then the skin of course. Still a long long way to go yet…….

Will post more pictures when I make some more progress.

Top stuff Glenn!! Well done...I am jealous as the Jug really is wonderful.....I miss old 'No Guts No Glory' that was resident at Duxford for so many years

Thanks a lot everyone! I DO appreciate your comments! :D

Spits: I looked at that link and your Corsair looks wonderful! Do you have it hooked up as a simulator yet?

Thanks Terry but I still have a ways to go and I think things will slow down in August as I'm thinking of getting in on the Battle of Britain group build. I looked at my stash yesterday and have at least five kits that would fit the bill.

Just a quick update:
Did a little work adding vacuum lines to the back of the instrument panel where it can be seen from the front. I used stainless steel braided plumbing supply hose. I'll will still add a lot of fake wiring along with some that will actually power some of the panel lights later and that should make the back of the panel look sufficiently "Busy"

Last edited:
Thanks Terry! Its almost just like detailing model where you stick on anything you can come up with to make some areas look crowded with wires and hoses. Only instead of an x-acto knife and a tweezer, I'm using an angle grinder and a pliers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back