T Bolt's 1:1 P-47 Cockpit

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Last night I finished the Prime Pump/ Recognition Light switch panel.

P5071721.JPG

Last edited:
happy0034.gif

Wow Glen that's some neat work you have done. I've been eyeing you one on one guys threads on and off and I'm just full of admiration for you, not only do you produce such amazing material in the back yard so to speak, but you also have real dedication for such a long term commitment and also the will to overcome sourcing and manufacturing of the components. it's a far cry from us modellers where it all comes neatly wrapped up in a box. Well done mate, you should be proud.

Last edited:
Thanks Darryl, Vic. I appreciate it. My work on the cockpit project has really picked up since I joined the forum and received all the positive feedback. The almost three years I have already spent on it could have been reduced considerably with such support to keep me going as there have many periods of inactivity. I could have even been started on the next one already! :rolleyes:

Beautiful Glenn, its great to see everyone's progress on the cockpits, I'm on the edge of my seat everyday hoping for more progress pictures. I look forward to seeing the finished product. Maybe soon I will start one of my own. First I think I might want to try a Thunderbolt panel although it looks a lot more intricate than the Mustang panel.

Great Job!
-Chris

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it! Made up some placards tonight that turned out better than I expected. Will post pics tomorrow.

I came up with a great way to replicate the cockpit placards:

Picture 1: Using Excel, I found a similar font and made up the likeness of the placard setting the type color as white and the background as black then printed it out on a clear decal sheet and sealed it with a clear coat (Future). The black area is slightly oversized and will be trimed to shape.

Picture 2: The material I used for the placards, aluminum roof flashing

Picture 3: Aluminum cut to shape with tin snipe and screw holes drilled in corners

Picture 4: Placards after decal application. I will apply another clear coat to seal the decals before I install them in the cockpit.

I'm very pleased with the results as they turned out better than I thought they would.
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG

Last edited:
Looks great Glenn, Were they decal style originally in the P-47? I think they used to do them back then on the aircraft either by engraving(stamping), silk screened or stickers from researching for my panel.

-Chris

Thanks everyone:)

Looks great Glenn, Were they decal style originally in the P-47? I think they used to do them back then on the aircraft either by engraving(stamping), silk screened or stickers from researching for my panel.

-Chris

I'm sure the originals weren't decals, that's just what I came up with that I could do and would look the part. I would guess that the original placards were printed on the aluminum in some manner. The printing on the control panel its self looks painted on in photos so I made up decals and applied then directly to the panel.

Well I looked through my cockpit photos I have of 47's and it what you did looks factory original, nice work. From what your saying they were probably silk screened on the metal which looks just like what you did with the sticker and the clear coat applied. Plus you can't beat the cost right?. If I do a 47 panel maybe I can get those images from you and make my own.

-Chris

Glenn

I had a look through your post, great job:D

Thought you you might be interested in a panel I made a few years ago now
I made a copy from an actual panel recovered from PNG, a friend of mine has a museum here and he brought the original back with him. Unfortunately it is stuck in a glass cabinet along with model I made.
I did all my placards with letraset one letter at a time by hand:shock:

Cheers

Mike

Attachments

• P-47 Panel.jpg
    P-47 Panel.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 325
  • P-47 Panel 2.jpg
    P-47 Panel 2.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 307

Users who are viewing this thread

Back