Ta152-H1 uber-fighter? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

In the QRH two Lightnings were kept but were not warmed up. I can ask my dad about it all since he worked in there. The scramble would be given, the pilot rush out, the technicians strap him in pull away the ladder.
And as GrG quite rightly said "Press a button, flip a switch, the engines are on. Drop flaps, apply trim, open throttle, and you're off!" And was it ever, he'd be hurtling down the runway and bang that nose up vertical. From scramble call it would take a minute to have both Lightnings in the air.

yes just trust us RG, i've seen a video of a lighning at takeoff, and it DOES accellerate very quickly, and as has been said, goes straight into a vertical climb for several thousand feet, no piston engined aircraft can go from take off to into a vertical climb for 10,000ft and not loose any major ammount of speed...............

It may takeoff quickly. But its rate of climb would be far to slow. I think most likely you would merely stall and crash.

I think you'd reach a similar end in the Lysander. As impressive as its STO capability was, it still lack the power and acceleration to maintain a vertical climb. You might be able to make it to vertical, stall, and still regain flying speed before you crash.

Bollocks, that thing stalls when you try to turn...

Twelve whole horsepower isn't quite enough for a vertical climb...

__________/\... BOOM! (That would be the flight pattern, a long roll, a quick climb, a stall, and a dive resulting in a crash...)

I went to the Woodford airshow in the 80's, and I saw 3 EE Lightnings do a quick take off in formation and a vertical climb.... I'm not a fan of jets, but it impressed me.... :shock:
Mind you, I was slightly deaf for a few days afterwards :rolleyes:
:lol:

A jet could do it. And even the number of jets that could do it would be rather limited. And many of those jets could only do it in a clean configuration. I just don't think a piston-engined aircaft would have the speed/power needed.

a piston wouldn't have a chance in a straight up vertical climb, only a small handfull of jets had the pure power to do it, especially in the 60s.............

interestingly the vulcan could also go straight up into a vertical climb from a take off, although obviously for not as long as the lightening...............

The Bearcat could not go "strait up", but it could (in later models) maintain something around 6500 feet per minute right off the ground. I.e., that's not a "zoom" climb.

The Lighting could do 30,000 fpm in the earlier versions, 50,000 in the later versions. The Phantom could do 70,000 fpm, and I believe the F15 is faster than that!

=S=

Lunatic

I agree Lanc, the Phantom is probably considerably heavier too. The fpm measurment is okay, but it doesn't tell how long that climb rate can be maintained. Weight and drag are going to effect it.

GermansRGeniuses said:
Bollocks, that thing stalls when you try to turn...

Twelve whole horsepower isn't quite enough for a vertical climb...

__________/\... BOOM! (That would be the flight pattern, a long roll, a quick climb, a stall, and a dive resulting in a crash...)

:lol:

But it was very light... :rolleyes:

Yep, if the British had it in 1066 the Frenchies might not have made it onto our turf :lol: Emphasis on "might" there :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back