take off distance in emergency for allied and axis fighters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I would think that time is the most important factor.

Was skimming the report Meteor Performance Trials and found a mention of a scramble test.

It was found that both engines could be fired up in under a minute.

The scramble time was measured with the pilot in the cockpit ready to go, starter control plugged in, brakes on, but no chocks and an airman assisting. The time also included a 75 yard taxi to the runway.

With normal engine checks the Meteor could be scrambled in 2m 40s. In an emergency, without the engine checks, it could be done in 2m5s.

Remembering that the Meteor was a jet and didn't need warming up like piston engine fighters.

Nice to see the scramble time for the Meteor, and I am surprised it was that short.

If I recall the report corectly, the F-20 Tigershark could be 10,000 feet in the air passing through Mach 1 exactly 1 minute after scramble, assuming the pilot was in the cockpit sitting alert. The competing F-16 that won the fight was still aligning the nav system on the ground at that point.

An impressive scramble time was the RAF V bombers. There was a button by the entry hatch and the 1st crewman up the steps hit the button, this started all engines and electrics and by the time the crew were seated the aircraft was ready to taxi. The V bomber was supposed to be airborne in 4 minutes because that was basically the warning time Britain would have got if ICBMs were launched.

From The Spitfire Story (Alfred Price), for the first production Spitfire MkI, K9787:

Take-off run (zero wind) - 420yds
Distance to clear 50ft screen - 720yds
Landing run (with brakes) - 380yds

Spitfire MkI K9793 - 7th production Spitfire fitted with the de Havilland 3-blade, two-pitch metal airscrew:

Take-off run (zero wind) - 320yds
Distance to clear 50ft screen - 490yds
Landing run (with brakes) - 235yds

Spitfire IIa - first production machine built at Castle Bromwich:

Take-off run - 230yds (although this does not state if it was in zero wind!)
Distance to clear 50ft screen - 400yds
Landing run - 350yds

I lived in Cochabamba Bolivia. The airforce used to fly Mustangs out of the shorter runway in the 70's and earlier I believe. 8,700 ft length, alt. 8400 ft.
The long runway was exciting. DC-3s used it up to 727 were the largest. 12,500 ft. In length. To get airborne you need to lock your brakes, max your thrust than once airborn execute a hard left turn (you have mountains in your path otherwise. For the DC-3 you can than enjoy doing about 3-4 circuits of the city until you got enough altitude to make your way between mountain peaks depending on where you are going.
Landing follows the same path in reverse. Of course that includes jamming on your brakes hard and reverse trust to max.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back