TAMIYA 1:48 F4F-4/FM-1

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Minor set-back. I put on the left wing insignia and fuselage and wing numbers. I took a few photos and while editing I noticed that the wing star and bar were shades lighter than the fuselage one. The decal sheet was also from a Testor's P-47 kit but from a different boxing. I decided to try the Microscale Decal Setter to remove the decal but got impatient, used too much and this lightened the paint colour under the decal. Had I took my time it would have worked. Anyhoo.....I have since rinsed off the area and re-shot the colour. I'll clear coat tomorrow

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Painted from the aileron out to the wing tip so it looks like a success, we'll see when I clear coat.

1539537356902.png

I've noticed the screen goes brown to let one know that the image is loading and clears up when complete....I LIKE IT!!!. A small victory here as well. For the first time I've mixed the correct amount of paint for the job with no waste, very important when trying to conserve paint or the replacement is 4 hours away. Rivet detail is still creating havoc with the decals. Still need to pin prick and reapply solution to the bottom of the star and wing 4s

Thanks all. Build is on hold, one of the wheel covers pinged into the ether. If I can't find it it shouldn't be a problem to make a replacement

All good, decals are on and resting. Still searching for the missing gear door. After I finished painting the moving parts as what I hope is a faded D.Earth on my What's on the Workbench build I had some paint left and as is my wont, I practice mottles. I'm still PO'd at my lack of ability to freehand camouflage so I gave it a go. This is with a 2:1 paint/thinner ratio, about 19-20psi using the Tan nozzle on the stabilizer, no masking......

009.JPG

....note that it is still pretty tight on the tail as well..........odd

Last edited:
Still plodding along despite the MIA gear cover which I now believe got tangled up in the masking tape I removed from the model and is now landfill . Engine and cowling installed, note wee little "4"s from the stash

IMG_0007.JPG

Directly above tail section is the remaining gear cover and part of a scratch built replacement. I'll actually build both and they'll be more to scale

Users who are viewing this thread

Back