Tamiya 1:48 Nakajima A6M2-N Kit #61016 (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Our story thus far. The wood uprights have been painted with a first coat from a bottle 35yr old Gunze Sangyo USAAF brown. The rest of the trolley were painted with Tamiya Aluminum followed by several coats of Vallejo Game Color 72.609 Rust. The wheels have also received a first coat of Tamiya Rubber. Not sure if the wheels actually had rubber but I'm just using it as a black variation. Once I'm happy, I will give it a thin coat of Vallejo 73.214 CHIPPING medium and then everything but the rubber gets painted Tamiya Nato Black. Cockpit parts also received some aluminum around the wear areas. These will also be coated with chipping medium and the sprayed cockpit colour. Then we'll see how well this chipping medium work. I've heard good and bad things about it so this will be a test to see if I use it on larger areas. That is all

IMG_3948.JPG
 
Last edited:
Thanks, Steve. Final painting done and letting it dry over night. Gonna hit some videos and see if I can find out where people went wrong with the chipping medium. I think it may be where others go wrong with Vallejo paint, trying to rush it as if were normal paint. I always wait at least 24 hours or longer before masking and had very little tape lift of bleed under. I've had more with Tamiya. I intend to let the medium sit for at least 24 hours as well before applying the top coat. We shall see..................
 
I'm hoping, Steve. In the meantime, I decided to try an experiment before the experiment. I couldn't find what part #25 was for and finally in writing, its the base for the standing pilot; not gonna use him. So, I paint the base silver and have now added two coats of rust. I'll let this dry, brush on chipping medium and then a coat of yellow to match my opening sign. Then I'll put it to the test. As an aside, the rust paint matches the rust on an axe I found last year and am about to restore

IMG_0001.JPG
 
And now we wait. Depending on the article one reads, the wait time to start chipping is 1-8 hours. I'm going to wait an hour and a half for my first trial. I'll wet half of the part and try chipping. If it doesn't, I'll try 4-6 hours and if that doesn't work, the full 8. Basically it depends how the Blue Jay do and when I turn the TV off

a.jpg

​
I thought part 25 looked excellent for wood but rust works too.

I though that as well when I saw the pic, Andy. Good for Mustang floors
 
This was after an hour, a modicum of success. I used a toothpick and stiff toothbrush and bypassed the rust down to silver. I think the issue was to many coats of yellow to cover the rust. I'll leave it for four more hours and see what becomes it. I've read this was an issue with Tamiya coverage and Vallejo paints produced a better result

IMG_0001.JPG

​
You can see how rough the finish is so I'll bypass doing this on the air frame

IMG_0002.JPG
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back