Tamiya 1:48 Nakajima A6M2-N Kit #61016 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Andy. Other side complete. After the ballgame I'll flip it over and do the bottom

IMG_0050.JPG

​
As an aside. The wife bought some cooking vinegar because she was told it keeps ants away from flower beds and the house. She had a bit left over and I thought I would borrow some and try something I've read about a few times.....decal solution. I grabbed a Mustang that will never see the light of day. It has some nice engraved panel lines and actuator bumps. I used it as a setting solution, placed the Tamiya decal on and used the vinegar as a solvent. Completed the panel lines on the Rufe and went back and had a look. It works just as well as my other solvents on Tamiya decals, panel lines barely showing up. Vinegar may work well on other decals....I dunno
 
Thanks all. This is just a test shot. Actually this is the second test, the first failed miserably. I wanted to see how the Rufe sat on the float so I placed it on and then put it on the trolley. Even with that great, whacking bolt glued inside the front of the float, the whole shebang sat on the tail. Panic set in to be mildly tempered as Tamiya included a clear part as a prop. I didn't want to do this so I looked around. I briefly thought about smooshing tire balance weights but the I found a full tin of pellets and BBs that I bought for such an occasion. I'm glad that I didn't attach the cowling when I wanted to. I smooshed the pellets, added some BBs and flooded it all with thick CA. I then placed the cowling to the front of the Rufe just to make sure I didn't put too much lead in; I didn't bit the CA grabbed hold so there it sits

a.jpg

​
A few things to note. The prop warning stripes are to wide as is, they fit perfect in the middle of the prop. I got my scalpel that I liberated from the Emergency Room, held the prop blade against the decal in the right location to ensure the proper angle and sliced. Not sure where that faint white stain came from on the cowling came from, possibly CA. If I can't remove it, it will become sea salt. At some point the antenna snapped at the short shot spot and pinged away, I got lucky and found it so I'll see if it can be mended. Mass Balances still in place
 
Last edited:
Thanks. Started some pencil weathering but not going to do too much. That rectangular rectangle, Tamiya calls it a step in either black or light grey. If it gets stepped on its getting weathered. I've also removed the clear masks. I wasn't sure how the liquid mask would react after being left on for a week but it came of right smartly with the tape. One 2mm section to repair. Also note my "sea salt" came off the cowling

IMG_0055.JPG

These things were either glossy or matte so I might split the difference
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back