Tamiya 1/48 P-51B Mustang

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I's a good idea for avoiding the center seam Geo. The Mustang had convenient panel lines at the exhausts.

I have another possibility for you John. My Tamiya B came with decals for 5Q-G "Bonny Bea" flown by Lee Eisenhart of the 339th FG. 2 kill marks and NMF with atractive red and white checks on nose and red/white striped spinner. The pics show the bird cage but the profile from Wings Palette (which I'm always skeptical of) shows the Malcom Hood and there's also one in Kagero's P-51B/C Mustangs Over the Third Reich showing the Malcom. I have no photos with the Malcom Hood to confimr but maybe a bit of digging will confirm.

You are welcome to the decals though our postal service is due to be disrupted as of Friday by a labour dispute.

3_102.jpg

5q-g2.jpg

5q-g.jpg

Thanks for the offer Andy but I don't think that's necessary. Bonnie Bea definitely meets my criteria and I like the fact that the upper wings are also metal instead of the OD that is more common. But honestly, I avoid using Tamiya decals because they are very thick and resist settling into the recessed details. This is based on my limited experience.

For the past couple of days, I've been painting the Vector resin wheel well and components.
IMG_1897_zpsqmbnzgel.jpg

After painting, a gloss coat and a dirty wash. The components are then glued into place and a flat coat is sprayed to even everything out.
IMG_1902_zpszkdcpnj4.jpg

IMG_1903_zpsyr5uvi9s.jpg

IMG_1904_zpsyrlf6wes.jpg

IMG_1905_zpse8lz25b0.jpg

I'm going on a camping trip this weekend so I'll resume the build when I get back!

Thanks guys! Back from the camping but haven't been able to get into the workshop yet. Hopefully, I'll have time to resume the Mustang this weekend.
RC1_zps6gwf1xgi.jpg

RC2_zpssyunrru5.jpg

A short update as I resumed my Mustang build. Here's an easy upgrade to the wing ID lights. The kit provides molded-in details of these light locations, nothing more.
IMG_1906_zpscibjdrqy.jpg

Using an appropriately sized drill bit, I gouged out concave depressions for each light to simulate the reflector.
IMG_1909_zpsvtslzljr.jpg

Punched pieces of clear acetate can be used for the glass covers. I will paint these with clear red, yellow and green paints prior to installation. To reduce the need for masking, I can do this towards the end of the build.
IMG_1908_zpska7qmqk9.jpg

The "step" in the flaps is filled in with sheet styrene.
IMG_1910_zpsvogjgld3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back