Tamiya 1/48 P-51B Mustang

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys! Creeping along right now. Busy during the summer but I'm trying not rush when I do make into the workshop. The fuselage seams have been cleaned up. The bottom details were a bit shallow to begin with and the cleanup process made rescribing necessary.
IMG_1913_zpsn29kwtrg.jpg

IMG_1911_zpsvbyagw54.jpg

After some final sanding on the inside surfaces of the wings, I got the wings together over the resin wheel wells.
IMG_1912_zps75awwbxo.jpg

I've decided to putty the wing panel lines. I wanted to try CA glue but I chickened out and went with what is familiar to me: Mr Surfacer. This will be a bit of a drawn out process since Mr Surfacer shrinks when drying. But I'm going to take it nice and slow, one side at a time.
IMG_1917_zpsthxyz5t1.jpg

There are little sub-assemblies that I can work on while the putty dries. The landing gear has been painted.
IMG_1916_zpswiqo3js0.jpg

I agree, nicely done John.
Seeing the pic of the underside of the wing reminded me of small error in the kit - the spent case ejection port is moulded as a single opening, where it should be two separate slots on the B / C variant.

Thanks gentlemen! Had some time this weekend to work on the Mustang. The puttying of the wings is complete. Terry... I saw your note about the ejector chutes but I've decided to leave them be.
IMG_1923_zpsn0pleqrk.jpg

IMG_1924_zpsfvsysrhn.jpg

IMG_1925_zpsgjk9r7yc.jpg

In-between putty coats, I fabricated an actuating rod for the ventral hot air vent from brass tubing. Since this photo was taken, I seem to have misplaced the rod so I'll have to make another.
IMG_1927_zpsxanqcdgh.jpg

The front cowling is a nice fit.
IMG_1928_zpsajbq2uhj.jpg

IMG_1929_zps5hwtvtka.jpg

Boo-boo time. I accidentally scratched the canopy while trimming off the sprue gate. I had dipped the canopy in Future prior to removing the gates (they are useful as grips) so that's another wasted step.
IMG_1931_zps1x1ooiji.jpg

First, I washed the canopy off with Windex to remove the future.
IMG_1932_zpsryfdy49l.jpg

The scratch was removed with fine sandpaper and then polished with Micromesh. I buffed it using a soft rotary brush on the Dremel.
IMG_1933_zps5c3ksrfr.jpg

The canopy was re-dipped in Future to complete the repair.
IMG_1936_zps3f45fdge.jpg

I bought a set of Eduard P-51B canopy masks just for these rear windows. Of course, I'll be able to use the masks for the windscreen too.
IMG_1935_zpsgee9txes.jpg

The wings are attached to the fuselage. Again, fit is very good.
IMG_1934_zpshlj2xzsi.jpg

I've got some minor sanding to do at the wing roots, especially the port side where the Vector Wheel Well has created a little overhang between the top of the wing and the fuselage wing root.
IMG_1937_zpshov41gam.jpg

IMG_1938_zpslvx3dvxi.jpg

IMG_1939_zps9kwxiafv.jpg

I have to get serious about scheme now since we are approaching the painting stage. Will make a decision SOON!

Ok... I've decided on a scheme based on the criteria that I had and retail availability of decal sheets. I am going to do G4+N, which was piloted by Capt. John F. Pugh of the 357th Fighter Group. This aircraft went through some makeovers during its career and was initially painted with a bright yellow and red diamond cowling. It was later re-painted, fitted with a Malcolm hood and nicknamed "Geronimo".
geronimo04.jpg

I purchased the Super Scale decal sheet 48-1194 which shows Geronimo with no invasion stripes. Note the white ID stripe on the tail.
ss481194b.jpg

Eagle Strike offers a decal sheet for Geronimo and those instructions show full invasion stripes.
esip4803a.jpg

There is a picture of Geronimo, post D-Day, with invasion stripes painted over on the upper surfaces so I have the choice of no stripes, full stripes OR partial stripes.
359z87o.jpg

If I do Geronimo without invasion stripes, does anyone know what kind (if any) ID stripes were found on the wings and tails of P-51's prior to D-Day?

Last edited:
As memo serves the P-51s used for the ETO wore the white stripes on wings and elevators while being camouflaged and the black ones when being of the NMF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back