Tamiya 1/48 P-51B Mustang

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys! I've got the port side decals on but will have to wait a few days to finish the markings as I will be too busy to spend any time on the bench. Ran into a little issue with the Super Scale decals but I'm gonna call it user error. The second application of Microsol introduced some fine wrinkles into the stars that I wasn't able to get rid of.

Wow, very nice. Backing up a bit, how do you go about correcting the paint that's bled under the masking tape. I've already had some great tips given in my Hellcat build but every little bit helps

Wow, very nice. Backing up a bit, how do you go about correcting the paint that's bled under the masking tape. I've already had some great tips given in my Hellcat build but every little bit helps

Thanks Geo! Careful re-masking a fine re-spray is usually all that is required to fix the small spots of paint bleed. My paint mix is so thin that it usually doesn't leave an edge... another advantage.

I had a chance to jump back onto the Mustang. Here's one of the decals that had wrinkled after the second application of Microsol. I scraped and sanded off the wrinkles and then carefully masked the star to attempt a paint repair. It wasn't completely successful so I left the other little wrinkles alone.
IMG_1986_zpsjl3hcqth.jpg

The decals are finished.
IMG_1996_zps1yvphcrs.jpg

IMG_1997_zpsxdbkneju.jpg

IMG_1998_zpsgtz4rqwg.jpg

The decals are sealed with a light spray of Alclad Aqua Gloss. The panel lines are given a wash of dark brown.
IMG_1999_zpsh8vezd6h.jpg

IMG_2000_zpss7yyeoey.jpg

IMG_2001_zps3rs30aed.jpg

A flat coat (Aqua Gloss + Tamiya Flat Base) is applied over the wash.
IMG_2004_zpskyz8xv3s.jpg

IMG_2005_zpsczj1j8tu.jpg

The flat coat is more of a satin finish. I'm afraid to push the flatness anymore using the Flat Base and the satin works ok for the bare metal so I think I'll leave it.
IMG_2006_zpsv3hjfehc.jpg

IMG_2007_zpsdlr0s3q6.jpg

Thanks for watching as this one gets wrapped up. The pre-painted flaps are glued into place.
IMG_2011_zpsii5w17zt.jpg

Tail wheel and hot air vent get tacked on.
IMG_2012_zps5vvgvs2i.jpg

All of the other doodads get attached such as the landing gear, prop, pitot, ID light lenses. The last touch after removal of the masking is the spine antenna, which is a piece of stretched sprue. She is done!

JTK_0723_zpsp5m5akvv.jpg

Please go to the link below to see the final pictures of Geronimo.
Tamiya 1/48 P-51B Mustang "Geronimo"

Wow !!, my dear John, I really enjoyed the process of your bird :shock:; You've done a very good job and successfully overcome the drawbacks :thumbright:. I pulled out my notebook to take notice of several tips. :mrgreen:

I'll pending in your next project ( you have a new bird in mind? )

Felicidades Juan y muchos saludos :thumbup:

Luis Carlos

Thanks guys! I'm currently in-between projects right now. Depending on when it arrives, I'll soon start on my first model in 1/72nd scale. This will be an Eduard MiG-15bis in North Korean markings for the 1950's Group Build. I'm also toying with completing the MiG-23MF that I stalled on last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back