Tamiya's New Spitfire Mk I N3200 of 19 Squadron

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thank-you sir.

Just checking in with the expert (Hi Darryl!) to make sure that Tamiya's got things right for N3200. Before painting things and adding wires and tubes, I glued the major parts into the tub and fuselage sides. In he below pics, the tub is held in place by tape but the fit is still unbelievable. If anyone sees anything awry, let me know please before I lock it in. I've been using pics of the restored P9374 and N3200 for reference and it seems Tamiya have it right for the most part.

20031903.jpg
20031904.jpg

On the starboard side, the only deviation I made to the instructions was to place the spare light bulb rack cut off of part A29 (see step 2 of the instructions in post #4 above) under the longeron between the IP and the first rib aft of it. This detail is per the restored P9374. The instructions would have you discard the bulb which doesn't make sense if the aircraft was equipped with the reflector sight.

20031905.jpg

That's all I have for today. Thanks for looking in.

Ok, a few problem areas. From front to back.

1 Throttle body needs the constant speed lever removing and the "bike-pump " airscrew control adding aft of the throttle on the longeron.

2 Below the throttle the Writing Pad Holder needs adding.

3. A front pocket needs adding to the map-box

4. The three switch housings arranged vertically need to be removed and replaced by a bracket like the bigger fourth one there now, aft of the map box and at the same level. These are the landing flare controls. The three switches are PURE MK V and later!

Pic below shows the area of the map box and WP Holder.

1584705692312.png

The photo below is copyright please do not share or reproduce.
DSC_1650.jpg

1. In need of a tank for the hydraulic fluid in the U/C Hand Pump system high on fuselage behind Frame 11

2. Deicing tank needs to be carved off.. totally inappropriate and the two controls needed to operate it are missing in any case.

After that...how much detail will show in the cockpit when finished in 1/48? I don't want to waist your time with things that will be irrelevant to the model?

1584706305538.png
1584706782458.png

Thanks ever so much Darryl. Excellent info. Is there a detail drawing or picture of that hydraulic tank anywhere? Removal of the glycol tank at this point could be an issue as it's pretty securely glued and it supports the undercarriage hand pump. It's mostly covered by the seat as well so I may leave it.

I'm using these two pictures of P9374 and N3200 as references:

Stock Photo - Supermarine Spitfire P9374 at The Imperial War Museum in Duxford, Cambridgeshire

Spitfire-Cockpit.jpg

Also interested in that purplish colour on the IP. I understand that it's due to anodizing but is that colour for real?

Indeed there is a lot that won't be seen in this 1/48 pit so I do need to be a bit judicious on what I'll do.

Great photos of the hydraulic tank Andy! Better than what I had. I haven't found a GA of the tank, no.

IP. The colour is not, I am assured, representative of what is seen by the naked eye. It is an artifact of the camera and the anodising. After MUCH research and examining original fragments etc, Dom and I came up with THIS which matches pretty much exactly the colours seen by the naked eye when looking at these panels. (with extreme age they fade to an almost light slate grey but that is not "flying" condition) Were I to repaint mine I would use a very dark slate grey.
1584724105590.png

Oh...another thing. I noticed on a review of the kit elsewhere that there is a firewall piece to go behind Frame 8 and the rudder pedals...this is incorrect for early aircraft...the tank being conveniently positioned and free to cover the pilot in fuel in case of emergency/fire.
SpitfireMK1cockpitbroa.jpg

Many thanks Darryl. I did pick up on the bike pump lever earlier, just haven't added it yet. I would not have thought about the corresponding control on the throttle though.

The next issue is what I believe to be the voltage regulator. It's this thing here:

20031904.jpg

I've read various accounts of where is was placed and the modern photo of N3200 has what looks like the same unit high up on frame 11 (Photo from Supermarine Spitfire Mk Ia N3200 Cockpit Shot Shuttleworth Airshow 2018. Sony A9 Sony 100-400mm1.4 tele-converte… | Supermarine spitfire, Aircraft, Vintage aircraft)

0138d34c1f257c9d375e509e5e3f4161.jpg

Off to do more research.

Not sure what that is supposed to be Andy but the Volt Reg was definitely where it is shown in teh picture (Frame 11 ) and the one you want is the large ovoid type as pictured.

I will try to find pics of the pneumatic tanks but I don't believe there was a large rectangular box above them!

From Darryl's list:

1 Throttle body needs the constant speed lever removing and the "bike-pump " airscrew control adding aft of the throttle on the longeron. DONE!!

2 Below the throttle the Writing Pad Holder needs adding. DONE!!

3. A front pocket needs adding to the map-box DONE!!

4. The three switch housings arranged vertically need to be removed and replaced by a bracket like the bigger fourth one there now, aft of the map box and at the same level. These are the landing flare controls. The three switches are PURE MK V and later! DONE!!

20032002.jpg

Also finished the pedals. The PE is thinner than I thought which is welcome!

20032003.jpg

The ground starter outlet on the port wing fairing was filled with primer and sanded. Happily, the correct plug cover is moulded into the lower cowl.

20032001.jpg

Keepin' at it. Experimenting with a new background but not sure I'm liking the colour shift it creates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back