Tanks post-2022: what now?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Have post-war Russian made tanks ever had success, no matter how used?
I'm sure there are several instances, but the one that comes to mind, is the tank battle in southern Iran back in '81, during the Iran-Iraq war.
Iraq's Soviet tanks held the upper hand against Iran's M-60s and Cheiftans.

I suppose I could look it up for better details, but going by memory, both sides were fairly matched in number, but Iran lost two-thirds of their armor force during the battle.

That's correct. Which shows it's a lot to do with how they are used. That doesn't say much for the Russian tactical training.
I have to go by memory, I'm having a hell of a time looking at stuff on this phone with one eye (see the "what annoyed you today" thread as to why), but Iraq had launched an offensive into southern Iran and Iranian elements tried to refuse the incursion with disastrous results.

The Iranian army lost between 100 and 200 Chieftan and M60 tanks due partly to trying to move through marshes but
they were mainly up against T-55 and T-64 tanks so had they known what they were doing they would have done better.
Iraq lost between 40 and 50 tanks.

Last edited:
The Iranian army lost between 100 and 200 Chieftan and M60 tanks due partly to trying to move through marshes but
they were mainly up against T-55 and T-64 tanks so had they known what they were doing they would have done better.
Iraq lost between 40 and 50 tanks.
Chieftan vs. T-55 and T-64 is akin to a Tiger II vs. M4 Shermans. If numbers are similar it should have been no contest.

Chieftan vs. T-55 and T-64 is akin to a Tiger II vs. M4 Shermans. If numbers are similar it should have been no contest.
IIRC at the time more or less the entire officer and NCO ranks of the previous Shah regime had fled or being forced to leave the Iranian armed Forces.
Also the US was heavily involved in supplying intel and satellite information towards Iraq - interestingly also in "favor" for the Iranians in the later stages of the war.

Considering the way Russian armor has been used, uprated M60A3s might still be viable.
The M60 2000 was just what you were looking for. An M60A3 hull with an M1A1 turret on it, new tracks/suspension, new gen diesel engine and and an APU. It was built & tested and no one wanted it. If we hadn't turned all of our M60 hulls into reefs or hard targets it might still be a viable project today.

The M60 2000 was just what you were looking for. An M60A3 hull with an M1A1 turret on it, new tracks/suspension, new gen diesel engine and and an APU. It was built & tested and no one wanted it. If we hadn't turned all of our M60 hulls into reefs or hard targets it might still be a viable project today.
03DB7407-674F-4EC4-91AB-C8241A4AA560.png

The M60 2000 was just what you were looking for. An M60A3 hull with an M1A1 turret on it…
Such bodges are for poor or desperate nations. If the world's foremost economic and military power needs MBTs they should make them, rather than periodically threatening to close their sole tank factory. And if M1A1 turrets are available in some storehouse, upgrade and install them into new M1A2 hulls.

Last edited:
These Shillelagh firing M551 Sheridans created a lot of excitement back in 1969 when they were delivered to the Motor Pool of the 8th ID 1st Bde's (ABN) Armor unit. Can't remember the exact unit/location but I think this was in Maintz, West Germany. Just passing through, had to take the pics from my vehicle. Always wished I could have gotten better closeups, but those Tankers didn't look too friendly.

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 7a.jpg
    7a.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back