TBM Avenger forced water landing.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A JAL DC-8 went into SF Bay back in the early 1970's. It was a nice landing , gear down and almost no damage was done to the airplane. They lifted it out of the water with crane, took it apart and dipped all mechanical or electric components into a tub of LPS-1.

And nowadays, we can rebuild anything if we want to. Back in the early 2000's a P-51B was found in a Florida lake. So little was left that you would not have recognized it as an airplane. This is picture of it today.

Oldcrow2.jpg

Looks like he went slow....stalled it in so it went plop as slow as he could.

Aren't naval vessels given rust proofing to survive a bit of sea water?

But the ship looked in one piece. Bit of WD40 and a rub down and flying next week.

I understand that in WWII on some carriers they would spray the inside of the airplanes with Mil-H-5606 hydraulic oil, since WD-40 was invented for the Atlas missile and was not around yet.

To me it looks like the engine mount is damaged and/or the engine mounts were torn loose.

I'll be surprised if it does not turn out that there was a fuel problem, as in inadequate quantity loaded on board or unable to access a tank with fuel in it.

I'll be surprised if it does not turn out that there was a fuel problem, as in inadequate quantity loaded on board or unable to access a tank with fuel in it
Or contaminated. Partially filled tank + humid climate = water factory and black slime nursery.

A JAL DC-8 went into SF Bay back in the early 1970's. It was a nice landing , gear down and almost no damage was done to the airplane. They lifted it out of the water with crane, took it apart and dipped all mechanical or electric components into a tub of LPS-1.

And nowadays, we can rebuild anything if we want to. Back in the early 2000's a P-51B was found in a Florida lake. So little was left that you would not have recognized it as an airplane. This is picture of it today.

View attachment 620230
As long as they have the data plate and a bit of rust the can make anything fly. Then it ia callwd restoration not new.

I guess as a naval aircraft low speed handling and ditching was part of its design.
One of my uncles flew Avengers off jeep carriers in the Atlantic. He carrier qualed on the Wolverine, a paddle wheel steamboat on Lake Michigan. He also had some experience in Wildcats, Hellcats, Dauntlesses, and Corsairs. He said that despite its size, the Avenger was a pussycat to fly, and the best carrier lander of its day. He said the FM2 Wildcats on the jeep carriers were "twitchy bastards" taxiing on deck, and made him nervous whenever one came near his aircraft.

I understand that in WWII on some carriers they would spray the inside of the airplanes with Mil-H-5606 hydraulic oil, since WD-40 was invented for the Atlas missile and was not around yet.
I never heard of 5606 being used as a corrosion inhibitor, it would have been a mess if not used sparingly and would drip out of every nook and cranny. WD-40 IS NOT a good corrosion inhibitor for aircraft even though it was developed by Convair (I believe). It is runny and attracts dirt. The best corrosion inhibitor is LPS-3 or Rustlick but both products were not around during WW2.
To me it looks like the engine mount is damaged and/or the engine mounts were torn loose.
That usually happens when there is some power or movement at the propeller.
I'll be surprised if it does not turn out that there was a fuel problem, as in inadequate quantity loaded on board or unable to access a tank with fuel in it.
Speculation is fun, I'd leave it to the NTSB...

That usually happens when there is some power or movement at the propeller.
Yes, but it also tends to happen when the prop gets bent hitting something even when it is not turning very fast. We have two airplanes on our field right now being repaired due to that very problem.

WD-40 was developed to wash off Atlas missiles. They can't paint the stainless steel, especially since it flexes and the paint also tends to flake off when subjected to LOX temperatures. So, after trying 39 different Water Displacing or Wipe Down solutions, they found one. It has a cleaning chemical in it.

There's an argument on Avweb about whether or not the Avenger pilot was irresponsible for ditching so close to shore when so many people were about. I don't have an opinion one way or the other, but a surf landing did go tragically wrong in 2014 when a PA28 killed a father and daughter on a Florida beach. They were in the water, bent down looking for shark teeth and the pilot didn't see them. The man's wife was only 15 feet away.

Avenger ditches (Avweb)

Beach landing kills father & daughter

NTSB report on fatal beach landing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back