TBM Avenger forced water landing. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

As found on Facebook today.

That was a fantastic ditching, it is hard to believe that's probably the first of the pilot's career.
Today's narcissistic social media lemmings have no idea what they witnessed.
Hopefully, the old war horse gets pulled out and taken care of, other than saltwater, it doesn't look like she'd be too bad off.

Edit: Further reading alleviated much of my worries.

That was a fantastic ditching, it is hard to believe that's probably the first of the pilot's career.
Today's narcissistic social media lemmings have no idea what they witnessed.
Hopefully, the old war horse gets pulled out and taken care of, other than saltwater, it doesn't look like she'd be too bad off.

Edit: Further reading alleviated much of my worries.
The museum has stated that the aircraft is beyond repair. 24 hours in the surf resulted in structural damage, and magnesium castings corroded beyond salvage.

The museum has stated that the aircraft is beyond repair. 24 hours in the surf resulted in structural damage, and magnesium castings corroded beyond salvage.
Bollocks, nothing is beyond repair. I have seen bf109 that were nothing more then a data plate and some wire come back in the air. Its money and not having that tool to fix it.

The cost to put it back in the air would greatly exceed the cost of an already airworthy replacement. There are less than a dozen shops worldwide that could deal with the totality of both the structural and chemical damage properly. Of those shops, most are booked years out with work. Conservation of the airframe would have need to have started within hours of the recovery to even make a rebuild a realistic possibility.

Bollocks, nothing is beyond repair. I have seen bf109 that were nothing more then a data plate and some wire come back in the air. Its money and not having that tool to fix it.
It would be a 'data plate repair', which, for something like a 109 is worth it. Something like a P-40 where shops are set up with the jigs and tooling, it would be worth it as a lot of the work is in machining parts, etc, and there are shops with the equipment already to go (or parts on the shelf).
Something like this, its not worth it.

It would be a 'data plate repair', which, for something like a 109 is worth it. Something like a P-40 where shops are set up with the jigs and tooling, it would be worth it as a lot of the work is in machining parts, etc, and there are shops with the equipment already to go (or parts on the shelf).
I don't see what the fuss is all about, give me a few days to slightly modify my hardware and I'll 3D print whatever you need…
R-2600 ✅
Wing Assembly ✅
M2/M3 Browning w/ 200 rounds of belted ammo ✅
Shall I continue? 😁

These guys could probably get this aircraft back in the air for $$$$$$$$

I've dealt with them on a few projects and they are awesome - they restored the P-38F "White 33"

BTW - this incident received a lot of criticism. I couldn't find the NTSB report but this guy doesn't hold back in his critique

Then it is not beyond repair. They are saying we do not have the money. That is something quite different.

FlyboyJ: Putting it gently, DG is not well thought of in the pilot world....

Snautzer: It would be hard to justify spending well over a million bucks to rebuild that TBM, when you could replace it for about a third of that dollar figure, and be flying immediately. If it had some significant historical connection, then maybe it would be worth it. Anything that has been in shallow saltwater and then allowed to dry, is already under a severe assault by the corrosion process. To be reasonably rebuildable, they would have had to start flushing the airframe within hours of the recovery. Salt and sand coupled with shallow and warm water set up the corrosion process in a hurry. Sadly, I would bet that if you walked up to the hulk right now, you could flake off lots of aluminum and push your finger through skins with little pressure.

These guys could probably get this aircraft back in the air for $$$$$$$$

I've dealt with them on a few projects and they are awesome - they restored the P-38F "White 33"

BTW - this incident received a lot of criticism. I couldn't find the NTSB report but this guy doesn't hold back in his critique

Whoa, if everything this man says is true, what the hell are those people thinking? I've seen kids modding their Hondas, Subarus, etc in their home garage working in a more professional manner.
I'll say it, in these days when American culture and history is literally being destroyed in an attempt to erase our past, it is the duty of every patriot to do their utmost to protect every trinket whether it be a colonial button found off the Florida coast in a Loyalist shipwreck or a WW2 battleship.

If DG told me to my face, that my butt was on fire, I'd need at least two independent witnesses, along with live video evidence before I would believe him. DG's premise, in every video I've looked at, is that he's right, the NTSB is wrong and they are idiots.

If DG told me to my face, that my butt was on fire, I'd need at least two independent witnesses, along with live video evidence before I would believe him. DG's premise, in every video I've looked at, is that he's right, the NTSB is wrong and they are idiots.
If it wasn't for the fact that the FAA also mentioned some of the same stuff, I would cast this off as another typical DG hack job.

Whoa, if everything this man says is true, what the hell are those people thinking? I've seen kids modding their Hondas, Subarus, etc in their home garage working in a more professional manner.
I'll say it, in these days when American culture and history is literally being destroyed in an attempt to erase our past, it is the duty of every patriot to do their utmost to protect every trinket whether it be a colonial button found off the Florida coast in a Loyalist shipwreck or a WW2 battleship.
While I share your sentiments about the Avenger, we will just have to agree to disagree about some of balance of your post...

Respectfully,

Kim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back