Tea and Coffee....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have an old Hamilton Beach hot air popcorn maker.

I use this to roast my beans before I grind them.

I do it in small enough batches that they don't oxidize or lose the roasted body flavor.
I wonder how that process would work with green tea?
There's a type called "Hoji-Cha", which is roasted.
Might save some $$$ and get the regular ol' Ban-Cha, then roast it in the popcorn maker.

...hmmm...:-k
 
Interesting "mantra" people seem to adhere to...Grinding your own beans.
The idea being that the coffee tastes better if you keep the bean whole until needed, because once ground, the beans immediately start going stale and lose their flavour.
I tested this theory when I was gifted my own bean grinder one Christmas.
What I found out was that the whole process was a giant pain and did NOTHING for flavour.
The coffee tasted the same.
These days, I get my coffee from the few grocery stores around here that still serve the whole beans that you can grind yourself right there at the store. My "secret" is I keep them in a sealed container, like the big 2 lb. plastic tubs you can get commercial coffee in.
Been working for me for many years now.

Different experience for me. I order whole beans from Hawaii to grind my own coffee. I find the taste better. But different people, different tastes.

My beans come in a sealed/resealable bag, but I keep them in a sealed container in my fridge, and I only grind the amount I need for the week. After grinding them I keep them in a sealed container in the fridge as well.

I love the smell of the roasted beans when I open that bag for the first time.

On that note, time for some coffee.
 
Back in the day before retirement, our delivery driver, originally from Guatemala, told us coffee was mountain grown there and had distinctive tastes depending on the altitude. Several kinds of coffee came from the same mountain, but from different altitudes.
 
Back in the day before retirement, our delivery driver, originally from Guatemala, told us coffee was mountain grown there and had distinctive tastes depending on the altitude. Several kinds of coffee came from the same mountain, but from different altitudes.

Off-topic but oysters are similar. Depending on the waters, location, salinity, etc., so many different flavors. Pretty neat actually, and tasty…
 
Ah ... Sunday morning coffee…with a shot of Cointreau and a shot of Kahlúa:

signal-2026-03-22-080622.jpeg
 
My mother bought me Helena Caturra of Offshoot Coffee in Australia
This coffee was served by using mokapot or simply pour-over
Below are from my coffee diary

For black coffee: Notes of berries aroma with a sharp acidity.
For milk-based coffee: Differs slightly from the described apple-like sweetness, leaning more toward tea-like notes instead.
Overall impression: Clean, subtle sweetness.

Another coffee was Guji Masina - Diamond *Rare*
This coffee was served by pour-over only

First, it's clearly a light roast bean, very hard, and the grinder can handle it.
For black coffee, there's a very delicate floral aroma (I didn't expect an Ethiopian variety to lack orange notes; seems like last time, even the Guji didn't have it either). The acidity isn't very strong, perhaps diluted by bypass water? It does have a bit of a lemon tea flavor. I've never smelled elderflower before—sweet and sour. As the temperature drops, the lemon flavor emerges.
For milk-based coffee, it gives a tea-like impression.
After increasing the grind size and retrying, there's a noticeable sweet floral aroma. However, this small water flow tends to cause more bypass water, so the actual flavor might be more intense than it is now.
Refreshing, clean, typical of washed coffee. The acidity is indeed better.
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back