Ted Nugent On Self Defense

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I will bow out gracefully and with apologies for any offence caused.It is not for me to tell citizens of another democracy how to run their affairs. The only point I wanted to make was the danger of modern interpretation of old laws. I am aware of several of the cases sited above and this is my point. In the single sentence of that ammendment the first clause qualifies the second. I believe that the original intent of the ammendment was to make the right to bear arms conditional on the necessity of a militia. That is not law, it is the English language. I know that it has not been interpreted that way in US law.
I am happy that, here, we do not have the right to bear arms but in the US it is a matter for her voters and let's be honest,this right will never be forfeited now.
Incidentally I agree that you should be able to protect you and yours with whatever means necassary. Thankfully here that is extremely unlikely to involve firearms.
I am not a pacifist,violence is a legitimate last resort,I would just hate to see 8000 of my fellow subjects becoming the victims of firearms,210 is too many.
Steve

Careful where you step.

This forum does has a no politics policy. Somehow politics keep getting brought up. I will allow it to stay open as long as it stays peaceful. As soon as it gets out of hand (and it will...), the thread will be closed and some repeat offenders will find themselves on vacation.

Stona, this topic has been discussed on this forum before. Your opinions are right in line with many in the UK, just as you would expect our's to be right inline with those of us living in the States. You would really have needed to live in the US before you would truly understand why we hold the right to bear arms to such a high degree, and why it has been a important part of our history. In no way am I trying to belittle you or your opinion at all, so please do not take me comments as such.

What constitutes reasonable force in defence of your person, family, and home, is basically the same in all states whose laws are based on English common law. That includes the US, UK, Canada, Austraia, and most Commonwealth nations.

The first fundamental principle is the premise that 'a man's home is his castle'. Outside the home,you are obligated to attempt to leave the scene of a possible physical altercation, but you are not obligated to flee your own home.The second is that the force used to defend oneself must be proportionate to the PERCEIVED threat. If your response is disproportionate to the ACTUAL threat, then you have the burden of making a cogent argument that, in the circumstances, your perception of the level of threat was 'reasonable' in that specific context. For example, if a senile, 80 yr old lady wanders into your house and assails you with her handbag (because she believes that YOU are the intruder in her house) you will have a hard time convincing a judge and jury that blowing her away with your 12 gauge was a reasonable response:lol:

OTOH, if you are awoken by the sounds of someone(s) in your house at night, and are surprised at close hand by three dimly seen' men' coming towards you, you can use deadly force. And if it turns out that the three 'dangerous men' were actually unarmed 14 yr old boys, the court would probably accept that in such a situation, your subjective perception of the danger was a reasonable one. And that's how it should be.

JL

Last edited:
The criminals will ALWAYS have guns, or have relatively easy access to them. That record "as long as your arm" probably includes a few weapons possessions in there, which are mostly (from my understanding) misdemeanors. Small change. What do they care about those? Weapons are power, and the ability to take what they want from whomever they want. Now....if a criminal is contemplating something nefarious, and is looking at my house, but knows I'm a member in good standing with the NRA, and own at least one working firearm....they're not going to bother my house. Or my family. That would bring a world of hurt down on them that they won't want...too much attention, and too many bloody wounds that really screw up your tennis game. Besides....there's plenty of other unarmed sheep out there to prey upon. Therefore....I want my house to be protected, because there's always one idiot who doesn't get the memo and believes that I'm unarmed.

BTW....who let slip that bit about the senile old lady???? IT WAS THE ONE-ARMED MAN THAT DID IT, NOT ME!!!! :lol:

OTOH, if you are awoken by the sounds of someone(s) in your house at night, and are surprised at close hand by three dimly seen' men' coming towards you, you can use deadly force. And if it turns out that the three 'dangerous men' were actually unarmed 14 yr old boys, the court would probably accept that in such a situation, your subjective perception of the danger was a reasonable one. And that's how it should be.

JL

That is why we have the "Castle Laws" in Texas, to address self defense at night. Force, even deadly force can be used much more aggressively at night, in defense of your property, even for the smallest of crimes.

keep them in jail or stick a needle in em' and do away with em' Do that enough and more people will think twice. Just close the Dam revolving door. The police are trained to "Shoot to Kill" not Shoot to wound, I'm pretty sure. I know that i'd do whatever it took to take em' down, if that meant killing em' so be it. Family first....Intruder DEAD. Wouldn't lose a minutes sleep. This comming from a laid back guy.

Haha, I just saw this, and man do I like Ted now. Still questioning the second amendment a bit, but his argument is sound, and I like is quote about wanting not a repeat offender, but a dead offender. For more insight into Ted Nugent, here is a email that my grandpa send to me a ways back.

Ted Nugent, rock star and avid bow hunter from Michigan, was being interviewed by a French journalist, an animal rights activist.

The discussion came around to deer hunting.

The journalist asked, 'What do you think is the last thought in the head of a deer before you shoot him? Is it, 'Are you my friend?' or is it 'Are you the one who killed my brother?'

Nugent replied, 'Deer aren't capable of that kind of thinking. All they care about is, what am I going to eat next, who am I going to screw next, and can I run fast enough to get away. They are very much like the French.'

The interview ended.

Haha, I just saw this, and man do I like Ted now. Still questioning the second amendment a bit, but his argument is sound, and I like is quote about wanting not a repeat offender, but a dead offender. For more insight into Ted Nugent, here is a email that my grandpa send to me a ways back.

Ted Nugent, rock star and avid bow hunter from Michigan, was being interviewed by a French journalist, an animal rights activist.

The journalist asked, 'What do you think is the last thought in the head of a deer before you shoot him? Is it, 'Are you my friend?' or is it 'Are you the one who killed my brother?'

Nugent replied, 'Deer aren't capable of that kind of thinking. All they care about is, what am I going to eat next, who am I going to screw next, and can I run fast enough to get away. They are very much like the French.'

The interview ended.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The interview ended.

:occasion5: :occasion5: :occasion5:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back