Testors 1/48 P-47D-5 Thunderbolt

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ok, The first thing to do is like I said before, to clean up those fuselage joints before the super glue gets too hard. When there reasonable, glue the spine on in as good a alignment as you can. That second to last picture didn't look to bad. Tack it in a number of places and don't worry if there's is still a gap like in that picture. When the glue has set fill in the gaps with slivers of plastic card wedged in and then run in some liquid cement. give it a good day to set then carefully trim off the excess card with a curved xacto. Don't worry about getting too close as next you will be filing it flush with a needle file. I would use the one thats curved on one side and flat on the other and tapered to a point. use the curved side holding the file at about a 20 degree angle tothe joint kinda rolling it as you work the joint. you might have to take down the plastic on one side or the other quite a bit depending how well things line up. May take some time. When its reasonably flush, fill in dips and holes with filler and file again. Its going to be a lot of work and there won't be much surface detail in the area when your done, but that can be scribed back later.

Glenn's got you on the right track there H, no problem. The gap between the bulkhead and the razorback can be corrected without too much problem, but you'll need to be patient, and take your time with it. We'll cover that part when the time comes. First, get the jobs done that Glenn described.

Harrison, I'm leaving on vacation in the morning and will be gone for a week and a half. I hate to leave you hanging like this, but I'm sure Terry is willing to help you all he can. I'll have a laptop along with me but probably won't be able to check in too often. Good luck with it, and I'm sure it's going to turn out just fine, just take your time with it!

Yep. I think Glennmant put the plastic card into the big gaps, cut off flush, and then use putty or other filler. No problems though, just have a go at filing and sanding until it's near smooth with the joint. Then you can use some putty. It looks rough at the moment, but there's no reason why it can't be virtually perfect when finished.

That's true Harry. Therefore you should have fitted the part before you glued it to the fuselage. Keeping its line and symmetry of the part you could avoid these gaps.As a result , not too much of a putty could be used.

Users who are viewing this thread