Texas Air Museum - Stinson Field

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You'd love the European museums, Alex!
A few examples from the Deutsches Technisches Museum in Münich: Fokker Dr.I, Fokker D.VII, Rumpler C.IV, Messerschmitt Bf 108, Bf 109E-1, Me 163B Komet, and Me 262A, Fiesler Fi 103 'V-1' and Fi 156 Storch, V2 on launch ramp (!), SG38 glider, Junkers Ju 52/3M, Henschel Hs 293 and Fritz X guided missiles, SdKfz 2/1 Kettenkraftrad, and(replica) Bachem Ba 349 Natter - not to mention post war types including the VTOL Dornier Do.31...
And that's just one of the museums here...!

:D:D oh I'd never leave!

Actually hoping to get over to Europe and the Uk to see some family and take some airshows in.

Soon I hope. need a better quality digital camera as well..........folding stuff is getting in the away again :lol:

In case anyone is still interested, I found my list of Fw-190 in Texas. The birds rages from restored to misc parts. I do not have much information. I made notes from a book. The book was sold before I could return. I do not even have the name of the book. I have to names of the owners but did not list them.

190A-2 Werke NR 5476 ( N16152P), Anson Tx
190A-6 two ea, Lubbock Tx
190A-8 three ea, Tx Air Museum, Rio Hondo Tx

DBII

Rio Hondo?????? Holy crap! What the hell are 3 FW-190's doing there? There isn't sh!t in that town, other than cantalope fields, mexicans, and apparently 3 FW-190's!!!!

Thanks for following up DB.

I remember seeing them restoring the 190 at the Texas Air Museum years ago when they were located in Rio Hondo, TX. I had no idea that they had moved up to San Antonio though.

Hey, if any of you guys drop by San Antonio again, drop me an email I can point you to one more "hidden" spot on the south side of town with some more WWII aircraft. It's called Cannon Field. Also, if you figure out the right person to contact (sorry I can't give it out) there's a WWII aircraft collector who owns some aircraft such as the P-38 Glacier Girl who has a hangar at the big airport.
FYI, I work at Stinson Field and thought I'd point out that the flying bomb there is a replica, not an artifact. They are also slowly working the outside aircraft into a more preserved state. Stinson Field is a bit historic in it's own right as the second oldest continuously operated general aviation airport in all of the US.

Ryan

I always wonder, when driving past a chained-up old airport with weeds growing through the runways and Quonset-type hangars, what little treasures are hiding away inside, behind those rusting gates and ancient locks?

Hey thanks for stopping at the "Little" out of the way museum, looky at whatya found there, we have to remember that alot of museums in this catagory go off of donations and what ever the owners can put into the upkeep,and with the economy not sood good right now it's a wonder many of them can even stay open for viewing. I'm glad that people who have these small hidden(sort of) treasures keep them at least from being chopped up for pot and pans as many famous aircraft have had happen to them, the more people know of these places the better chance of them staying open so help them all you can by visiting often and contributing $$$$$ if at all possible .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back