Texas Air Museum - Stinson Field

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

G'day Njaco, just read your comment..

FZG is short for 'Flakzielgeraet' (anti-aircraft aiming device), FZG 76 being the military designation for the unpiloted 'V-1' ('Vergeltungs Waffe I' - Vengeance weapon 1).
The V-1 (piloted and unpiloted) was made by Fiesler, RLM designation Fi 103, the 'R' ('Reichenberg') suffix referring to the piloted versions, of which there were 4 types, so basically all names are correct, depending on which context in which we're speaking of them.

(Another example of this is the V-2 - for Hitler, his 'Vergeltungs Waffe II', in the Wehrmacht, however the A-4 ('Aggregate 4') -can't remember the exact meaning of that one though, but short for 'Agressor geraete' ('Offensive weapon'), I think.

There is a small museum 40 miles or so to the east of us here in Des Moines, in the town of Greenfield, Iowa. I have seen the sign for it many times when I was going to my girlfriends sister's house for a family function. This thread makes me want to stop and take a look at it. i have always wanted to stop, but never had the time. I will have to make the trip especially for the museum. Maybe there will be a treasure or two there as well!!!

That Fw 190D-13 used to be at the Champlin Fighter Museum. I read somewhere that when the new owners acquired her, they realized that the wings were actually from a D-9, and it turned out the wings had got mixed during re-assembly after import to the States in 1945. The USAF museum's example had the D-13's wings, and subsequently Tamiya's 1:48 D-9 has D-13 wings, being modelled on that example!

Re Fiesler Fi 103:

Sorry! Remembered a couple of things wrong !(posts edited accordingly to avoid confusion)

Photocopied from a book on aircraft of the Luftwaffe (didn't record title):

Known alternatively as the FZG 76 (Flakzielgeraet: anti-aircraft aiming device 76) or Vergeltungswaffe Eins (Reprisal weapon I ), or more simply as the V 1 , the Fi 103 flying bomb was designed by Dipl–Ing Robert Lüsser of Fieseler, and had a Siemens guidance system.
It could be launched from a 50 m (152 ft ) inclined ramp by a Walter steam-driven catapult, or air-dropped from a carrier aircraft (usually an He 111). The weapons were launched against Britain (from 13 June 1944) and targets in Continental Europe, and more than 30,000 were manufactured by Henschel, Mittelwerke and Volkswagen factiories.
An Askanian gyroscope fed signals to the elevators and rudder to control attitude and direction, and the terminal dive was initiated when a pre-set distance had been flown.
Operational air launches were mostly made from He 111Hs of KG 3 (later KG 53); but whatever the launch method, about a quarter of the weapons failed in use and only about a quarter of the remainder got through Allied defences.
Even more of a desperation weapon was the 'Reichenberg' piloted series, of which there were four versions: the single-seat and two-seat unpowered Fi 103R-I and R-II, the single-seat powered R-III trainer and the proposed operational R-IV. About 175 were so converted, but none were used in combat.

The following info came from various sources, but mostly from 'Flugzeug Typen der Welt':

-The Fi 103R-I was used for ground testing;
-The Fi 103R-II was a two seat glider trainer (with extended wingspan and two seperate cockpits – one before, and one aft of the mainplanes) for novice pilots;
-The FI 103R-III was a two-seat powered trainer for more experienced pilots (note the clash with the above info, but seems more logical it should be a two seater);
-The R-IV was the operational version, which was a standard V 1 with single cockpit and canopy fitted, and improved flying controls.
-The 'R' designation came from the project name 'Reichenberg'
-The Fi 103R was not a 'suicide plane' - it was intended the pilot should line the aircraft up with the target, then bale-out and land by parachute.

Thanks Heinz.

Here's another cool thing.......I leave today to go back down to San Antonio. With a spot of luck, there will be a new surprise for me in Burnet again!

I've been to the this museum, and yes it is a bit old but once you look around it has some great stuff. After I got home and looked it up once again I found that the curator I was talking to was in ww2, when he was 13 or 14 and they had a great display on young US soldiers. I was great to see the 190 up close, it was the first I had seen in person. Really want to see the D-13 though.

The 190 D-13 referenced by DBII was—until a few weeks ago—on display at the Museum of Flight in Seattle. I was there Saturday and much to my dismay it was gone. I knew it was only a matter of time since hearing last year that Paul Allen acquried it for his collection. Doug Champlin had it on loan to the MOF until he found a buyer. The word was that he was asking $5M for it; I have no idea if this is true.

Allen is the in process of moving his collection from Arlington, WA south about 20 miles to Everett, WA and I believe the 190 will be there. If any of you are in the Seattle area, it's definitely worth it (as is the MOF) as the 190 in person is simply stunning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back