TG-14s leaving the USAFA

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

FLYBOYJ

"THE GREAT GAZOO"
Apr 9, 2005
Colorado, USA
A little over a year ago the USAFA decided to surplus its fleet of TG-14 (AMT-200S) Ximango motorgliders. Since that time I've been contracted through the USAF for the new operators to prepare some of them for re-deployment (a pretty nice side job). Right now Dale and Geneva County Sheriff's Department (Both in Alabama) have three. Others are going to sheriff departments in Florida and Georgia. Here's one I just finished up, leaving sometime at the end of the month. The law enforcement folks who are getting these motorgiders are going to operate them as airplanes and probably use them for traffic surveillance. Note the folded wings....

Attachments

• Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 1,677
  • Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 1,414
Thanks Eric - what makes this little project so cool is the government allows me to use all their assets and allows me to ask my full time employer for assistance. The only stipulation I have with my boss is not to do this on "company time" and not to impede our normal operations. With that said, my lunch hour and time after work gets these aircraft done.

I'm waiting a turn on to do one more aircraft then the US Army is supposed to take the last 4. I'm hoping they will hire me to do their aircraft - a nice source of "beer money."

Interesting post Joe. Thanks for the photos. I don't know much about that aircraft. Fair to say that only America utilised motor glider based aircraft for military purposes? Particularly interesting were Lockheed's 'noiseless' variety.

Hey Joe: What's the wing span on that puppy ?
Charles
Almost 70'
Interesting post Joe. Thanks for the photos. I don't know much about that aircraft. Fair to say that only America utilised motor glider based aircraft for military purposes? Particularly interesting were Lockheed's 'noiseless' variety.
The USAFA used it as a trainer as part of the soaring program. A little tricky to taxi and land, it could be a handful for a low time pilot.

Here's some more pics. I ran both aircraft yesterday when it was almost 65F. Today 25F and snowing!

When the canopy is closed this aircraft reminds me of a Ta 152. If I owned one I would paint it up like one.

Attachments

• Picture 013.jpg
    Picture 013.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 1,477
  • Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 1,737
More pics guys - I got the third one done yesterday.

Attachments

• Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 1,233
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 1,192

Users who are viewing this thread

Back