the AH-1 Cobra is still one mean bird (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

C'mon Adler. Its a simple matter of physics. Rambo put non-trigger hand over the aft end to hold the blast in. Jeez. I have to explain everything.

I thought all you needed to down a hind was a bow and arrow... rambo did it...

There is this rumour

"Its cables and fuel lines were so vulnerable to small arms fire it was even rumored that a CH-21 had been downed by a Viet Cong spear."

From

CH-21 Shawnee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

451px-Color_shawnee_over_rice_paddies.jpg

AH-64Ds can actually do shoot-downs. They can carry four AIM-9 Sidewinder ATA Missiles on the end of the wing pylons. Both AH-64A and AH-64D can go ATA if they have to. I can remember missions in Jane's Apache Longbow Anthology where you hunted down Hinds and other helicopters in action. If you are lucky in that game you can use the Apache to take out an aircraft although they are more difficult to hit... That game is based on what happens in real life. The AH-64D Apache Longbow can be used as ATA but its main mission is ground-attack and close-air support. I think it also does lazering of targets on the ground, and destruction of SAM sites. I can remember there were a few missions in campaigns in that game where you had to scan for SAM sites from cover and then eliminate them before friendly aircraft got there to take out the main target... But Black Hawks would be very vulnerable in that role as they can't do the safety tricks quite as well as the Apache can... Black Hawks make better targets though... When I am talking about safety tricks I am meaning being able to perform slide-slips and that when a missile is closing so it will overshoot. Could be crucial if you miss seeing the missile earlier... AH-64 never exceed speed is 197 knots or 365km/h while the Blackhawk's maximum speed is 193 knots or 357km/h.

AH-64Ds can actually do shoot-downs. They can carry four AIM-9 Sidewinder ATA Missiles on the end of the wing pylons. Both AH-64A and AH-64D can go ATA if they have to. I can remember missions in Jane's Apache Longbow Anthology where you hunted down Hinds and other helicopters in action. If you are lucky in that game you can use the Apache to take out an aircraft although they are more difficult to hit... That game is based on what happens in real life. The AH-64D Apache Longbow can be used as ATA but its main mission is ground-attack and close-air support. I think it also does lazering of targets on the ground, and destruction of SAM sites. I can remember there were a few missions in campaigns in that game where you had to scan for SAM sites from cover and then eliminate them before friendly aircraft got there to take out the main target... But Black Hawks would be very vulnerable in that role as they can't do the safety tricks quite as well as the Apache can... Black Hawks make better targets though... When I am talking about safety tricks I am meaning being able to perform slide-slips and that when a missile is closing so it will overshoot. Could be crucial if you miss seeing the missile earlier... AH-64 never exceed speed is 197 knots or 365km/h while the Blackhawk's maximum speed is 193 knots or 357km/h.

Flightsim games....:rolleyes:

AH-64s were tested in 1987 for an air-to-air capability. Since then a number of helicopters have been configured for an air-to-air capability. As far as I know the only helicopter kill happened in viet nam when a Huey shot down 2 AN-2 biplanes.

Flightsim games....:rolleyes:

AH-64s were tested in 1987 for an air-to-air capability. Since then a number of helicopters have been configured for an air-to-air capability. As far as I know the only helicopter kill happened in viet nam when a Huey shot down 2 AN-2 biplanes.

Joe - are you saying that flight sims are not actual representations of real life!?!? :D

Joe - are you saying that flight sims are not actual representations of real life!?!? :D

:lol:

About a year and a half ago I gave an introductory ride to a 17 year old kid who was real bright but also a real know it all - he flew all the flight sims and pc flight games ya know, so flying in a 172 would be a piece of cake so I was told!

His continual "I know that" comments for everything I was trying to show him was really starting to piss me off. Since his mom was paying for this, I figured I'd give him his money's worth. I asked him he he knew what a stall was, and he looked at me like I was an idiot - I then quickly pitched up about 60% and did one of the nastiest departure stalls you'll ever see - I think the kid was zero g for 5 seconds. After that he understood the difference between sims and real aircraft!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back