The Alclad Experiment.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Maglar

Tech Sergeant
Jan 29, 2009
Florida
As I know of, many people are unsure about the quality of Alclad and is it worth the money compared to other metalizers. Since I got my respirator I decided I would run an experiment with Alclad Aluminum vs Vallejo Chrome. The planes mid-section will be undercoated in gloss black lacquer to give it a stronger appearance on both ends. I dont have other metalizers so bare with me. It will be done on the same plane so comparisons can be drawn. I will not polish the final result but will give the vallejo is gloss cote seal while if Alclad recieves a seal it is ruined (as stated by website). Just a little thing for fun, I hope Alclad comes out strong or else I wasted my money! :D

Should have final results tonight as they both dry fast..

Attachments

• PICT0615.JPG
    PICT0615.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 77
  • PICT0616.JPG
    PICT0616.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 73
The gloss black has been applied and kept under a box while it dries. I do not want dust or those nats all up in my spray job!

Attachments

• PICT0620.JPG
    PICT0620.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 74
  • PICT0617.JPG
    PICT0617.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 74
  • PICT0618.JPG
    PICT0618.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 80
  • PICT0619.JPG
    PICT0619.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 79
I just sprayed it and it is very close, but you must remember.. I did not clean the piece of plastic, I did not have the Alclad primer which the site urges, and I had a bad run of misfortune. In other words, I rushed it. One wing had vegetable oil from me trying to make it be able to move when I was building the corsair. But I see the Alclad as being way more realistic if a whole plane was covered in it. I also have a 1/72 P51 in the mail which im spraying, so you guys will see the true works of its power there. Pics later today! :D

Ill go take them, might not be cured but its not like im handling it. Remember I rushed, so discredit the spider web, the chunks of particle and everything else. You all would probably execute this better then me. But im the only one who ever thinks of crazy stuff like this. Brb

Ok, first pic is Alclad, 2nd is Vallejo, 3rd Alclad, 4th Vallejo, then a final shot. I still believe my rushed effort ruined the NMF so I will do a comparison between my 1/72 Mustang and my 1/48 mustang since one will have vallejo while the other has Alclad. Cheers! [I think its the vegetable oil that really did it in lol] :rolleyes:

Attachments

• PICT0634.JPG
    PICT0634.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 77
  • PICT0633.JPG
    PICT0633.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 75
  • PICT0632.JPG
    PICT0632.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 74
  • PICT0630.JPG
    PICT0630.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 76
  • PICT0631.JPG
    PICT0631.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 72
Hmm. Maybe it's me, and probably also the fact that metal finishes don't record that well 'on camera', but I don't see a significant difference. Presumably though, any difference will be visible to the naked eye.

I think the Alclad has more life if you compare the first two. My camera isnt the best but I think a whole finish on a plane will do more justice then some leftover pieces of plastic. I am going to do the primer and sanding tihng next time.. might bring it out a lot more

Decided to do a durability test, 30 seconds of vertical sanding (up / down) on each piece with 600 grit super fine. This sand paper is made for wood I think, who knows. Glad to know I can handle the Alclad without ripping off its finish like most other metalizers, no sealer was used btw. Sort of polished bot of em :D

Attachments

• PICT0636.JPG
    PICT0636.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 77
  • PICT0637.JPG
    PICT0637.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 73
  • PICT0638.JPG
    PICT0638.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 76

Users who are viewing this thread

Back