The 'Ascendant' - Sailplane

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Becco_UK

Airman 1st Class
Jun 13, 2007
hfpre01ri8.jpg

Although not a WW2 aircraft I recently started making this 'Ascendant' sailplane model which, if all goes to plan, will feature in the final image of the 'Rainmaker' (Avro Lancaster) sequence.

A 3 view plan was obtained from sailplane manufacturer DG Flugzeugbau GmbH ( DG Flugzeugbau GmbH / Passion, Power + Performance ). The plan was divided into three seperate images, each of which were applied, via a Cinema material, to plane primitive. The plans are very basic and will be complimented by photographic reference.

Software being used:
Cinema4D 9.6 MAXON - The makers of CINEMA 4D and BodyPaint 3D
Maxwell Render 1.5.1 Maxwell Render ™ : The Light Simulator. Render engine. Multilight ™. Materials. Photorealistic...
Paint Shop Pro Corel - CorelDRAW, WinDVD, Ulead Video Studio, Paint Shop Pro, WordPerfect, WinZip, Painter

hfpre02sa6.jpg

The rough fuselage and wing shape was made from a shaped cube, placed in a HyperNurbs. The tailplane and rudder are seperate components, also made from a cube.

Previewed here the 'Ascendant' makes use of a default two layered Maxwell plastic.

hfpre04ry7.jpg

Before making the HyperNurbs editable I imported a low resolution figure from Poser - this serves the purpose of making sure a humanoid figure will correctly fit inside the cockpit. The figure will remain until the cockpit is completed in the near future.

This preview is with the Hyper Nurbs made editable, the cockpit canopy split from the main mesh and all the control surfaces also split from the main mesh. Although not seen here I've also split some 'airbrake' parts from the wings' uperside surface. Although not really an airbrake they are used on real sailplanes to cause a disturbance to airflow which has the effect of reducing lift.

I'm now using a custom made Maxwell material applied to the models fibreglass parts- similar to a plastic but with the addition of a 'coating'. As the model progresses this material will probably be further adjusted.

hfpre05lp8.jpg

The 'Ascendant' has a front undercarriage. Just a few basic shapes make up this assembly. The wheel 'fins' were made from a single object, placed into an array which was then placed into a mirror object - I chose this method to keep the polygon count as low as possible instead of working from a higher segmented wheel.

Most of the undercarriage is hidden from normal view so that's all the parts I'm making for this element of the model.

hfpre11wx0.jpg

For the 'Ascendant' paint work I decided to go with a traditional white sailplane and also a colour scheme based on the old Mustang 'Miss America' race plane.

All UV mapping done with Maxons' Bodypaint with Paint Shop Pro used for vector lines, stars and lettering.

I do not understand all this, Becco. It this an actual model that you can
hold in your hands ? Or is it something on paper, like a painting ? Or is
it something done with a computer and a program ?

Charles

Charles,

It looks like Becco has done this with a computer and a program.

cockpit02dk1.jpg

Thank you for commenting. As mentioned this is not an hold in your hand model. It is a 3D model made with Cinema4D.

With a few bits added to the cockpit. Textures added where needed - instrument dials carpet seat.and a carbon fibre panel.

tama625cq8.jpg

This resized image is of a completed render. The sky is a photo' I took the other day and was converted to an mxi image for use by Maxwell as a background.

Lighting and reflection comes from a sun/physical sky and refraction uses a hdr image similar to my sky photo. All this mixing of different light sources has obvious flaws but a little postwork of the completed render tidied things up a little.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back