The B-17 Flying Fortress Was The Most Overrated Bomber Of World War 2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Personnel were 100% expendable.

The mission was to get bombs onto targets at the cheapest and fastest possible rate.

The B-24 was faster to build and went further on the same amount of materials.

Wars are won by getting there 'firstest with the mostest'. Comfort and safety are not war winning attributes - see the B-29

The B-17 was past its sell by date by 1942 and exited production very early 1945.
Orders for over 5,000 B-24's were cancelled on VJ Day

Let's remember that EVERY weapon developed in WWII contributed to the result. Even the most abject failures showed the weaknesses of using that technique or design. It is absolutely useless to argue better or worse ... it takes a forum exchanging interesting, curious and useful information into the realm of a drunken "mine's bigger than yours!" bar squabble.

Thousands of CG-4 troop gliders were built by many dozen firms, most costing a few thousand dollars. However, one firm managed to milk the process for around a million $ in early '40s dollars ... and only produced one aircraft ... and that was never flown!! Even that debacle had a plus in that it pushed a crackdown on contract monitoring.

Personnel were 100% expendable.

Are you kidding? The crews on those bombers were more expensive than the planes themselves, and while it takes a couple of days to build a B-24, it takes 18 months to build a competent crew.

The mission was to get bombs onto targets at the cheapest and fastest possible rate.

"Cheapest" also means not expending excessive amount of the most precious resource, personnel.

The B-24 was faster to build and went further on the same amount of materials.

Yeah, those are facts acknowledged in the article I linked.

Wars are won by getting there 'firstest with the mostest'. Comfort and safety are not war winning attributes - see the B-29

No one here is asking for "comfort", but you have to admit that when you're flying missions lasting six, seven, or more hours, easy flyability matters in terms of combat effectiveness. It should be noted as well that ease of flying also contributes to bombing accuracy.

The B-17 was past its sell by date by 1942 and exited production very early 1945.
Orders for over 5,000 B-24's were cancelled on VJ Day

By the end of the war, every heavy bomber in the world had been rendered obsolete by the B-29. That includes the B-24, which explains the 5,000 cancelled orders.

Each bomber had strengths and weaknesses, and whether it was good for a mission or not depends on what missions you're asking it to do.

The issue is a lot more nuanced than it's portrayed in those sorts of discussions ... or the blog in the OP for that matter.

The B-17 was the peak of pre war first generation monoplane bombers, but it was designed at a time when things like 'pleasant flying characterises' could be indulged.
It also had a very draggy high lift wing, a corollary limited engine power in the engines of the day. Putting 1600HP P&W's on it later wouldn't have made it go much faster.
The B-24 was the 'new aerodymanics', it was a generation on from the B-17 - it was a 'hot ship', and like the B-26, its 'hot handling' was a problem until people got there head around the fact is wasn't a slow lumbering pleasant flying pre war design.

People forget how fast 1930's designs became obsolete - many while they were still on the drawing board.

And it's the contribution to the war effort that counts. In the role it was used, it was a capable aircraft. I don't have the stats at hand: what was the proportion of B-17's on missions over Germany as compared to the B-24? That would speak volumes.

Last edited:
You seem to ignore the points made by the contemporary bean counters that the B-24 was not a more efficient aircraft for performing the mission of "getting there 'firstest with the mostest'."
Aircrew are expensive to train in both time and money. Pushing an aircraft out the factory door faster means nothing if it then requires extensive, expensive, time consuming, modifications to make it combat ready. All those planes are of no value if they are grounded due to servicibility issues.

Its a warplane, not a weekend pleasure flight flivver.

Fly in formation to Point X, drop bombs, everything else is academic.
What?! That's a stupid reply! What's your combat experience in a 4-engined heavy bomber? Ever heard of the cork-screw manoeuvre?! Suggest you have a bit more research to do!

The B-24 was "hot-handling"? Everything I've read indicates that it was a sluggish plane in handling. In The Wild Blue, Ambrose quotes George McGovern mentioning its poor handling characteristics, resulting in pilot fatigue.

There's also this (forgive the horrible webpage appearance):

Last edited:
There was a need for evasive flight in a 4-engine heavy bomber. The RAF operated the B-24 and the B-17 during night operations. The pilot had to know and execute evasive manoeuvres. The notes below imply it was a "Smooth Manoeuvre". It was often executed at the extreme operational limits of the aircraft in a violent manner and I have a reliable eyewitness account that crew blacked out during the its execution and stress induced damage to the skin of the aircraft resulted. I'm sure if I could ask my father which aircraft he would rather fly whilst executing the Corkscrew it would be the Lancaster as compared to the B-24, which as above, he said handled like a cow. He did not like the Halifax either. He never flew the B-17.

Also, the USAAF flew nighttime Missions on the B-24. I suspect these pilots would have had to execute some sort of evasive manoeuvres if attacked by fighters. They could not have relied on the support from other aircraft from a formation at night.

Last edited:

Everything I have read has always pointed out the B-24 was more difficult to fly and had heavy flight controls. Anyone who has experience flying a plane knows that greatly contributes to pilot fatigue.

Let's also not forget the B-24's wing. While more efficient than the B-17's, it was not as durable and more susceptible to damage and failure.

Anyone who thinks crews are expendable is underestimating the importance of training and experience in combat. The Luftwaffe says hello. They also are not taking into account the costs and time to get that necessary training.

Anyone who thinks crews are expendable is underestimating the importance of training and experience in combat. The Luftwaffe says hello. They also are not taking into account the costs and time to get that necessary training.

Right. The IJN also learned a lesson in what happens to an air force that doesn't care for its human resources. I bet by 1944 they wished they'd practiced better SAR in 1942.

Last edited:

As a rebuttal, I will offer the following selected passages from the book The B-24 Liberator: A Pictorial History by Allan G. Blue.

Regarding the comparison between the B-24 and B-17:

Regarding the B-24's performance shortcomings:

Regarding the B-24 and a design change which improved its characteristics (a change which emulated the design of the B-17):

the USAAF was never short of aircrew, it was never going to be short of aircrew.

The B-24 was faster and cheaper to build than the B-17.
you got them faster - and that got You there with the mostest.

WWII was a war of production - not who built the most pleasant handling bomber.

and yet, the USAAF was going to retire all its B-17's from 1945 and replace them with B-24's.

As for the single tailed B-24, that was always the plan, a prototype flew while the B-24 production was still ramping up, but the war and the needs to churn out as many bombers as possible got in the way. When things eased up, along came the B-24N

Users who are viewing this thread