The Best Assault Rifle.

Which One the

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yeap we started to get frustrated because our armourer mounted all the sights, handed them to us and said go zero and then qualify, you dont need to do anything but make some minor adjustments.

After about 2 hours of not getting anything to even come close to the target (its hard to make adjustments when you dont hit the damn paper) a couple of us finally pulled out the manual for the sight and read up on it, unmounted our sights and remounted them the correct way. Zeroed really quick, went to the qualification range, qualified and went back to the hooch while the armourer was still trying to figure it out. :lol:

He actually was pretty good at is job. Atleast when it came to all the old weapons and what not like the M-60. He coult tear that damn thing down and fix it an do what ever you needed blind folded.

no Lanc i loved the Slr 7.62mm I trained on it for ages was a bloody great weapon to use. the M16 i found no better than a cap gun in comparison and that is just my opinion only Lanc

Emac

I agree totaly on the SLR, hot and hard with a full load of ammo, but worth every drop of sweat in the bush.

We regularly demonstrated targets 1/2 obscured by light brush at 80-100 meters where the 5.56 rounds were zipping away from every damn leaf or twig they hit.

Same target got hit every time by the 7.62 round.

Even showed how to shoot through 12 inch trees to blow the target full of lead and wood.

As mentioned a mix of the two weapons was our preffered loadout, with at least one person using the browning pump action shotgun with a load of 1 shot and 1 solid mix.

As for the Steyr, it is a solid dependable weapon, without the stopping power of the 7.62.

After they sorted out the fact that the initial magazines (plastic) were just too damn weak.

It is not just embarrasing when you take a dive for cover and have your magazine shatter at the slightest bump on the ground, spraying springs and 19 rounds everywhere, it is fatal.

Interesting posts. I have published tests demonstrated in gun rags that show that while 5.56mm will certainly ricochet with light brush, apparently so does 7.62x39 and 7.62x51. It is a matter of KE that the 7.62x51 is less prone to ricochet, but testing has proven that at 100m all are greatly affected if the target is more than 5m-10m behind the light brush, amazing as that might seem.

5.56, 7.62, 8.6 and 12.7mm rounds will all be affected if fired through a brush, heck a single twitch is enough to ruin your aimed shot.

Lanc you are making my argument for me. If you (Brits) are so concerned about aimed fire (as your "American" statement implies), then small brush ricochets affecting aimed minute of angle should be of concern to you. I fully recognize the bigger bullet/greater KE argument, but my point is that for virtually any modern day round small brush has a significant effect upon point of aim regardless of battle/assault rifle caliber. You can use your limited farm experiences to argue different, but your gonna lose this one. While I don't get on my high horse often, this is my forte.

Every other technical opinion...well I just make those up. :evil4:

Matt

I agree that 7.62 will deflect as well, and the more bush the greater the chances of deflection.

However the angle off through light scrub leaves etc is a lot less, 1/2 an inch over 75 metres is still going to hurt when you aimed at the center of mass. :p

I always found it was better to give than recieve. 8)

that was low matt, don't ever expect me to come to your aid if you get your tractor stuck or need to heard some cattle ;)

but i wasn't saying that British rounds aren't affected by it, as much as i wish we were we're not that God like, read what i've said again all you'll see i've said is that the larger calibre is affected less, the American comment was aimed at your prefered shooting style ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back