The Best Bf - 109 Variant ?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bf-109 G-14 entered service on the western front starting in July 1944.

Bf-109 G-10 entered service close to K-4 (slightly after first K-4s came into service) in around November 1944.

Bf-109 K-4 entered service in October 1944.

G-14 was using DB605AM engine (meaning DB605A engine with MW-50 system) and using B4 fuel - 87 octane. DB605A is used on G-1 all the way up to G-14.

G-6/AS uses DB605AS engine and G-14/AS uses DB605ASM engine; meanind DB605AS + MW-50 system

G-10 K-4 were using both DB605DB and DB605DC engines (sometimes these engines are also called DB605DBM and DB605DCM because they both use MW-50 boost system). Both of them are the same engine except DB605 DB is "DB605D" engine configured for B4 fuel giving 1800HP (and hence the term DB605DB) and DB605DC engine is "DB605D" engine configured for C3 fuel. DB605DC engine gave 2000HP, C3 I believe was 100 octane fuel.

Mind you DB605D engine was first produced in 1942 but had some techinal difficulties with pressure and reliability so it was delayed into service until fall 1944.

One more thing G-14 is basically G-6 Late with MW50 system.

The only difference between G-6 Early and G-6 Late is that G-6 Late uses the streamlined canopy called "Earla Haube" and high tail unit and this makes it slightly more (about 10km/h) faster than G-6 Early. G-6 Late also has new pilot head protection armour plate and cocpit canopy called Erla or unoficialy "Galland Panzer"

For me personaly 109s came like this:
Bf 109G-2
Bf 109G-10
Bf 109F-4
Bf 109K-4 etc...

Yeah, I like the 'E', and I believe the 'G's were good...I don't think I could get into those wing slots they all had though, but there's no doubt there were pilots who got the absolute best out of the 109...definately liked the look of the 'E' model though, square tips n' all....

Attachments

• raf_487__nz__sqn._chalks-up_another___hard_day_s_night__..._156.jpg
    raf_487__nz__sqn._chalks-up_another___hard_day_s_night__..._156.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 1,577
:) Mr. Conorry, (Mr. Bond) and a bf 109! WEll that can work. But "dead sexey?" I would say the Spitfire was a bit more sexy. ;)

I have to go with the 109 for looks but if I had a choice of flying either one I'd choose the spitfire mostly because of the horrible short range of the 109..

And there were many planes, that when they were shipped to a new unit, the pilots would look at them and say::

"My God Almighty... We have to fly these against the Bf-109/G-12 ????"

Russian pilots, upon learning they had to fly the Aircobra, after they were proved worthless over the skies of Britian...

but look at the swordfish, people crying out for a squadron of spitfires would look at wonder at the sight of stringbags flying round...............

actually they weren't bad, they were manouverable enough to keep the fighters off during flight and their low speed often made pilots overshoot when on their run, bloddy cold though.................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back