The Best Bf - 109 Variant ?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
A spitfire's range was not that much better then the 109. Now granted the spit did develope range better. But for range in a fighter I'll take the A6M2 :)

Lanc, a Stringbag was slow cold and did well because it was so bad. But when the Spits got to Malta the Swordfish were not flown. ;)

yes they were, well firstly it was mainly beauforts doin the anti-shipping role, but swordfish were still used, the spit couldn't be used at a torpedo plane could it..................

I've never seen anything about trying a spit with a torpedo. I imagine the length of British torpedoes might have caused a bit of a problem.

i've seen a pic of a spit with floats, but there's no way a landbased spit could take a torp....................

Floats yes I have a poor picture of it. It was an experiment I think much like the Japanese and the A6M on floats. Both were looking for fighters that could patrol the islands in the Pacific as I remember before carriers were all the rage and not a lot of Island bases. But both programs were not developed.

Now if you want Sex appeal in a fighter, the Italians did have that :) But I would take Mae West ;)

Float plane fighters, in general, weren't very good ideas. The drag the floats imposed serious limits on performance.

The Shiden began life as the N1K1 Kyofu ("Mighty Wind") codename: Rex.

Attachments

• n1k1-float.jpg
    n1k1-float.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 1,095
Both of them are nice craft, but I would just like one to be able to fly over the Maine Woods and land in some lake for a little fishing and swim. The SeaDart was an interesting project why that it was killed off was sad. SeaPlanes are just a great way to get around.

Lanc, is that one of the 4,000lb bombs that is shown in your little picture under your name? ;)

LG you're closer than MP, but it's actually a grand slam, easy mistake to make though.....................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back