The Best Bf - 109 Variant ?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's very hard to tell. The shape of the bombs are almost identical and scale is hard to make out in a picture that small.

In his avatar, if u look towards the back of the bomb, ull see a person standing there....

The Earthquake Bomb family: (from L to R) 12,000 lb Tallboy, 22,000 lb Grand Slam, 42,000 lb T-12, and the 25,000 lb SAP Samson

Attachments

• grandslam.jpg
    grandslam.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,234
  • grandslam2.jpg
    grandslam2.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 1,224
  • grandslam4.jpg
    grandslam4.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 1,227
I really like all of the 109s from the C series onwards, favourites would have to be 'F' series, 'G' series and 'K' series (oh and the 'T' series)

AIUI there were significant problems with the 309 and the RLM decided to focus on the FW190 D series and the Ta-152 which already were superior in performance to anything promised by the 309. I may be wrong however :D

Pictures of Me-309

Me309_1thu.jpg

Me309_2thu.jpg

Me309_3thu.jpg

All from http://www.michas-bastelstube.de/Modelle/Me309.htm

According to http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/LRG/me309.html

The 309 was originally designed to be the definitive successor to the 109. Innovative features included a pressurized cockpit, tricycle landing gear, and a retractable radiator. However, the 309 could be out turned by the Bf 109G and was judged inferior to the Fw 190D and never reached production. The Me 609 was to be a twinned version similiar to the P-82.

Kiwimac

The better varient is still hard to say. What are your more looking for: performance or handling. True the K model was the fastest but I believe the G model was by far the better of the latter models. However the E model seemed to handel the best and had better flight characteristics, atleast from what I have read. Whichever model you believe, I think the Me-109 was a remarkable aircraft.

Attachments

• bf109k.jpg
    bf109k.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 1,030
I have to agree with you and I think it was the best looking one of the 2 also. It was sleek and just looked like it wanted fly through the clouds like and eagle. Some of the paint schemes they put on 109G's were just awesome looking. It was a great aircraft.

Attachments

• bf109g15.jpg
    bf109g15.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 993
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back