The Best Fighter pre 1970 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

General Pain

Recruit
Apr 24, 2007
I am looking for the best fighter aircraft pre 1970

1 interceptor
1 dogfight
1 ground attack

The f104 an excellent delivery platform due to its high wing loading not a knife fighter dogfighter but boom and zoom . In the 12 years the 104 was at Red Flag not one was lost in the simulated combats what else needs to be said

In the 12 years the 104 was at Red Flag not one was lost in the simulated combats what else needs to be said

Good to know that.

The job of an interceptor is to engage the enemy as far from their target as possible. In that capacity, all you need is speed, high ceiling, range, good rate of climb and a strong weapons system.

The F-104 was flawed but it did the job it was designed to do.

I pretty much agree with Glider.

It's a shame the Lightning was never forced to dogfight; sit on its tail and climb to the stars, then come roaring down like ...well, lightning.

Initial rate of climb; 50,000 feet
Ceiling 60,000 feet
Speed Mach 2.3

All official ... not true figures. The Lightning bounced U-2s... an 11 Sqdn. pilot recently declared he took an unmodified Lightning to 88,000 feet and felt it could keep climbing. Lightning T.5 beat the F-15 to 30,000 feet...

The f104 an excellent delivery platform due to its high wing loading not a knife fighter dogfighter but boom and zoom . In the 12 years the 104 was at Red Flag not one was lost in the simulated combats what else needs to be said
I must correct my statement not one was lost I Red Flag while performing its role as strike aircraft . but had kills as it would "pop out of the weeds " while going a good clip and pull a snap shot.

Been thinking about this and I have decided to put the Gnat up as a dogfighter.
Sure as hell isn't an interceptor or GA, but as a dogfighter it would take some beating

I've seen a few times the mention of the Hunter as a dogfighter, when and where was it used in a dogfight situation and what was it's kill/loss ratio?

I flew an A-4 against a Hunter a long time ago, and we had gun camera
footage after each sortie. What I remember is that the Hunter's pipper was
not only always on my aircraft, it was steady on my cockpit, and it was
quite humbling. For pure classic dogfight, I am leaning towards the Hunter.
F-106 for intercepter, my beloved Scooter for attack.

Dogfighter? Mig-19. Highly maneuverable with a lot of power, 2 engies to boot. Pakistan put Martin baker seats in their and armed them with sidewinders.

No one has mentioned the F-8 Crusader...

Attachments

• f8vfp306fi.jpg
    f8vfp306fi.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 186
  • F-8-2s.jpg
    F-8-2s.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 211
  • west-ordnance.jpg
    west-ordnance.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 219
Noticed a few listed F4 for a air to mud fighter. Not what I hear. Have a friend that flew 150 FAC missions in Viet Nam and he said they were not noted for their bombing accuracy. Also read a book about A1s flying out of Thailand and the author said the F4s were notorious for their inaccuacy in bombing. Said the most proficent was the F105.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back