Sorry, you misunderstand my point. I wasn't saying zero American. I was talking about the messaging Saab (and others) are playing up to. There is a myth out there - that neither Saab or their supporters are correcting - that the Gripen is the non-USA solution. You obviously know the difference but many others don't and this is what is being played up to.
My question would be why you believe going non/less-USA sourced is a goal?
Is it to diversify supply chains? If so, why? After all, one could argue that for Canada, being right next to the USA (with the world's largest Military and largest military industry) with a long land border and supposed long standing ally, it would make sense to integrate more closely, if only for logistics reasons. Verses going to say, Europe (I use this since it is the most common alternate put forward vs say, Japan or Sth Korea), where you have a greater distance (separated at least by an ocean) and multiple countries with less capacity.
Alternatively, if driven purely by frustration with the (especially current) US regime policies, actions and rhetoric, then that could arguably lead to a lesser pure capability. It is also this latter reason that I believe is being played up to be Saab and their supporters. I also believe the Canadian Govt is sensitive to this element which is why Saab are playing the game that they are.
It is interesting that neither the Eurofighter Typhoon nor the Dassault Rafale are being promoted even though I believe both would be far more effective alternates for Canada.
I should also point out that I am neither American nor totally against the Saab Gripen in this case. I actually like the platform and in other areas am strongly pushing for it to be selected. I just happen to believe that for Canada, the F-35 represents the best overall capability and value for money and believe that Saab and their supporters are being somewhat disingenuous in their promoting.