The day I got to start a Merlin !

Discussion in 'Aviation Videos' started by Geedee, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Geedee

Geedee Well-Known Member

At Flying Legends (Duxford) this year, with huge thanks to Peter Grieve...check out his website, This guy is amazing :wav: !!!, you will not be dissapointed !!! Merlin XX ... I finaly got to realise a life long ambition to start up a Merlin.

Peters Merlin came from a Beaufighter crash site, deep underground (the link I've added will take you to the page detailing the story behind this engine). And yes, I can hear you say 'The Beau had round egines...Hercules...!' True, but some had Merlins instead.

As pre-arranged, I met Peter early on the Saturday and was expecting to simply start his Merlin and leave it at that...Peter, on the other hand, had something more special lined up for me. He essentially allowed me to run his Merlin, in company with a second Merlin and a Griffon for a full demonstration. Me ?...cloud nine ?...too righty !

Following a full brief the time came to prime and then fire her up. With an almighty lurch she caught, faltered and then fired up, bellowing out that unmistakeable Merlin soundtrack.

Did I say she was loud ?....sorry, I meant BL**DY LOUD.

You dont normally get to stand so close to one of Rolls Royces finest on full song and the noise, vibration and shockwaves from the 12 exhausts is something else entirely !. Normally, when I hear a Merlin running, it makes that hairs on the back of my neck stand up....well, they did try but failed magnificently on account of the propwash / exhaust blasting past !.

Okay, she's running a cut down prop, but hey, who cares...and I am most definately not going to wash my flight jacket to remove the odd oil splashes from her either, no sireeee !. I also got my flight hat christened as well !

There should be two vids attached, turn up the sound and prepare to be jealous...teehee.

I also have a few vids from my 'helmet cam' I had mounted on my ear defenders but the quality is quite poor but do show an operators eye view of the event. I have to convert them before I can add to this post.

Attached Files:

2. v2

v2 Well-Known Member

3. trackend

trackend Active Member

Retired tech support railway engineer
    I been going to FL for years and the Merlins and Griffon always get a good crowd I think its a clever way to display them much better than static or cutaways (all though the IWM's one is beautifully done) nice Vid Gary, big smile.

4. Airframes

Airframes Benevolens Magister

Retired
    Nice Gary.

5. Aaron Brooks Wolters

Aaron Brooks Wolters Well-Known Member

Auto Restoration
    WAY COOL geedee WAYCOOL!!!!!!!!:headbang::greenjumpers::thumbleft:

6. beaupower32

beaupower32 Well-Known Member

Nice, im jelous.

7. wilbur1