The F4F / FM-2 alone would have won the war in the PTO

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I actually see where Bronc is coming from on this one, and I largely agree with him. If it were "The US could win the Pacific Theatre with only the Wildcat as a carrier based fighter if the Japanese fighters did not advance past the Zero and Oscar, even the later model Zero's on Oscar's", I would fully agree.

Even with Japanese late model planes - these were pretty much all army planes, the Sam never made it in time. So carrier vs carrier, the Wildcat's are OK. The later land based planes of the Japanese would have been tougher - but with B-29 Bombings and Sub warfare, would they have been able to make enough of these planes, supply (above and beyond fuel, a big issue as well) all these planes, and even harder for them, train the pilots for all these planes, or at least enough of them to make a difference?

That Japanese airforce, naval and army for most of the war hit a death spiral of which there was no escape, and of which the later superior US planes were only a portion of.

The Japanese lost their airforce in the Solomon's campaigns - before extensive deployment of the Hellcat, and the Corsair influenced this mostly on the tail end. I think with Wildcats only the result would have been roughly the same. The damage the Japanese air force suffered in the Solomon's was well indicated by their lack of production in the Marianas Turkey shoot. The Hellcat helped of course, but the Japanese would have been hurting without the Hellcat.

The Zero was the better fighter - the Wildcat was far more survivable. Look at Japanese Air casualties in the Coral Sea, Midway, and Santa Cruz battles. This was roughly 50/50 (Not counting the planes/pilots lost when their carriers were destroyed/damaged - this is roughly even, with the Japanese having well trained pilots and the Zero vs. Wildcats.

The US had far better AA, with their 5"/38 probably the best dual purpose weapon of the war - Japanese dual purpose guns did not have as high of a rate of fire, many suffered from low traverse and elevation speeds, and the primary Japanese destroyer 5" was dual purpose in name only, with a low rate of fire, in ability to load while at a high angle of fire and slow traverse speeds made it useless as an AA weapon.

The US 20mm Oerlikon and 40mm Bofors were also both far more effective than the Japanese standard 25mm Light AA weapon.

Add this to the proximity fuze in 43 or so, and with radar controlled AA fire and the US has far superior AA fire.

When you combine this with many Japanese planes that did not have self sealing fuel tanks you can see why there were far more Japanese planes lost to AA fire

Most Japanese fighters had the same shortfalls, at least until later in the war. Lack of armor and self sealing tanks meant that the manuverable Zero was a fair amount less likely to make it home than the Wildcat.

Then again we look at how both sides could replace (trained) pilots. With limited fuel, the Japanese could not put out nearly the trained pilots the US could, and again this was starting to show before large scale introduction of the more advanced US craft.

Some important advantages the US had that are often overlooked relating specifically to the air war - A big one is vectoring of CAP. The US used it's radar to a huge advantage early in the war - they were able to vector their CAP better, which was in essence a force multiplier. The Zero was a better plane - but the Wildcats could be in a better tactical position with more numbers. The US plane radios were also more efficient than their Japanese counterparts, which also helped with better vectoring. The inability to vector CAP properly is largely what caused the Japanese carrier losses at midway - had they known the altitude and approaches of the Dauntless' they would not have been chasing the Devastators at sea level and been useless against the bombers. Of course, if their AA was better they might have had a chance as well.:lol:

Would the US have lost additional men, planes, and ships? Yes. We likely would have lost another carrier or two. But at the Marianas, the US had over 950 carrier based planes available to the Japanese 450 - and these 450 had far less training.

This reminds me of the question "If the US lost the Battle of Midway, would the US still have won the war?

Answer is most certainly yes. Would have taken a year or two more and cost more lives and equipment - but yes. Look 1.5 years after Midway and look how many carriers each side would have had, even with a US Midway loss, and it's pretty plane to see.

Let's say I'm glad that I don't usually participate in alternate history threads.

Because for every premise, there is a counter.

I seriously doubt the Japanese would abandon development and if we couldn't come upo with anything better than the Widcat, who can say what might have happened? The development of the R-2800 was begun before we got into WWII. I cannot see developing such a good engine and not using it.

But in an alternate history, anything seems to be possible.

5 years old or not, the notion is ridiculous. Why force the war to drag out longer by stubbornly producing obsolescent aircraft?

Precisely. The idea is missing the whole point of going to war to defeat the enemy in the first place. Measure versus countermeasure is as vital to success as fielding numbers. The advance of technology is relentless in warfare and employment of new technologies on battlefields and campaigns has proven to have been a decisive factor in their coutcome throughout history.

Last edited:
5 years old or not, the notion is ridiculous. Why force the war to drag out longer by stubbornly producing obsolescent aircraft?

I don't think there was any opinion expressed stating that the US SHOULD HAVE produced only the Wildcat, merely it was stating that the US could have won the Pacific war without the Hellcat and the Corsair.

I took it as a statement of what problems the Japanese Air arm had in compared to the US Air arm, and that the advantages the US has in area other than the quality of the fighter craft could have won the war.

At least that is how I took it.

On Japanese naval AA, they also had the excellent 10 cm/65 (3.9") Type 98. Excellent ballistics and high rof.

Juha

On Japanese naval AA, they also had the excellent 10 cm/65 (3.9") Type 98. Excellent ballistics and high rof.

That was a good gun. Probably not quite comparable to the US 5"/38 (only due to shell size, the 3.9" had a similar if not a bit better ROF).

But it was not radar directed fire (or if it did it was behind the US by a few years), and no proximity fuses. I've seen a few different listing regarding the effectiveness of the proximity fuse - and would have to say it probably at least doubled the effectiveness of AA fire.

And the other problem - not enough of them. The US had the 5"/38's on about everything - The 3.9"'s were only used on a few ships, the Taiho, I don't believe any BB or CA's used these, and one class of destroyers used them. There were a lot of ships on the drawing board to use the 3'9"'s, but most never entered service.

That's one problem the Japanese had as well - their state of the art ship were mostly late 30's - the U.S. state of the art ships were early 40's. And a lot was learned during that short period of time, and extensive re-fitting of the Japanese Navy was not really an option during war time. They would update radar from time to time and add a lot of 25mm guns, but that was about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back