The Falklands

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Interesting letter in the paper today. It was written by a naval officer who at the time was responsible for the Seawolf Testing programme. There was concern that the air launched version of the Exocet used different frequencies to the sea launched versions. He asked the French for details of the frequencies used and had a reply within four hours.
This showed that the frequencies could in 50% of the cases distrupt the Seawolf missile. The next night an amended version of an amended version of the printed circuit board was tested at HMS Collingwood and corrected circuit boards were immediately flown from Brize Norton and parachuted to the ships at sea.

The key was the swift response of the French with the required details.

Pilot who shot down Argentinian fighter jet in Falklands war comes face to face with the man he thought he had killed

Read more: View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb0OHA8m_ak

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw one of the ships coming back into Portsmouth after the war,i was on a ferry coming back from the Isle of Wight,it had a large flag draped over the side of the ship and when the wind lifted it the largest hole i have ever seen in a ship,it was a wonder the ship made it back,i don't know what it was but it was a warship

If you post this in an argentine forum the people would inmediatly to tell "that was the HMS Invincible"

I want to know "why" the British Empire did not encourage to do this "Slapstick" (that is making today) with the CHINESE GOVERMENT, when they had to RETURN the HONG KONG Island...in this case, they accepted the terms imposed by the Chinese "friendly"...
COULD SOME BRITISH CITIZEN EXPLAIN THIS TO THIS ARGENTINE?

Suppose I say to the people of USA "Forget the December 7, it happened a lot of years ago!" "Why to remember every year?"

Dear vikingBerserker: I like the Zeppelin Ztaaken too...recently I buyed in Powell Books (by $9.90!!!) a 1919 Jane's that have the Staaken!!! I want to make a 1:72 scale model of this bomber. I know I can find it in Roden, but I want to make from zero, with my hands!!!

Certinly. Hong Kong was always going to be handed back to China after an agreement signed with China in 1898 gave the UK the land for 99 years. After that period the UK carried out the terms of the agreement and gave the land back to China.

No such agreement exists regarding the Falklands.

The position is and always will be if the people on the Falklands want to join Argentina then they will be allowed to. Its worth noting that some partys in Scotland want to split from the UK and the Government have proposed that the People in Scotland have a vote for or against a split . If the vote is yes, then Scotland will leave the UK and be a nation on it own.

The rules are being applied in a consistant manner.

Ale, we do not discuss politics here. Be very careful what you post.

Dear Ale

I am not a British citizen, and I am very mindful of the ban on political debates, so I am going to be very careful in my reply and very reluctant to reply further.

There is not much camparable to the falklands/malvinas and Hong Kong. Hong kong was a leased territory that was always understood to be Chinese territory. That meant the land always had to be returned to its owner the Chinese eventually. In the case of the mavinas, no such lease eists, and the people of the islands are clear that they want to remain part of the British Isles. The argentine claim for the islands is mostly based on their proximity to Argentina, and their long past historical links. its a difficult delicate situation, I admit, but it is not at all comparable to Hong Kong.

Perhaps a different point of view to your own, .......

Users who are viewing this thread