the flak tower

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fly boy

Staff Sergeant
Jan 16, 2008
in the last level of MOH airbourne there is this thing called the flak tower does that exist and if so i need some pics

vakttorn.jpg

All of the ones I found were in Vienna.

Lemme resize the one pic.

This pic is so huge, I can't upload it anywhere haha.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a8/Vienna_flak_tower_dsc01576.jpg

Good pic Cory! There are four or five still remaining in Wien (Vienna), one of which is still used by the MOD as a control bunker in national emergency situation, and has a direct access to parliament.
The rest they wanted to destroy after the war already, but the walls are typically 3,5 m thick, and any attempt at detonation would result in the destruction of a large area of the city first, so most are used for other purposes -one is an aquarium/ terrarium for example. The MOD one and another they tried to destroy, now unstable in the tower area, are off limits to the general public however.

(I don't know if you know, Flyboy, but 'Flak' is an abbreviation of Fliegerabwehrkanone (Lit. 'anti aircraft gun' - Flieger: flying object, in this case aircraft; Abwehr: defence; Kanone: cannon/ large calibre gun). Interesting how the term has come to be used in general english -"to 'cop flak' over something" )

They were a waste of resources - mainly sprung fro the imagination of Hitler himself - but they serve a useful role in sheltering hundreds of civilians. Also, they were used with great success against the advancing Soviet armies.

As said before, they were close to impossible to destroy. The amount of concrete and steel used, is gigantic. Many civilian bunkers could have been built instead. :(
Kris

I dont think I would describe any aspect of the Reich's resistance to Soviet armies in 1944-45 as a "great success".
In the end, the flak towers in Berlin were the last strongholds...self powered, vast ammunition and supply reserves and even equipped with a hospital, there were impervious to Soviet assault...even with thier largest artillery.

The Soviets had to send special envoys to parlay with the defenders and 30,000 refugees.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back